Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. 1831-1834 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (330K)| |Buy This Article|
Super-Resolution Near-Field Structure and Signal Enhancement by Surface Plasmons
Advanced Optical Memory Group, National Institute for Advanced Interdisciplinary Research (NAIR),
1-1-4 Higashi, Tsukuba 305-8562, Japan
1Advanced Technology Research Laboratory, Sharp Co., 2631-1 Ichinomoto-cho, Tenri, Nara 632-8567, Japan
2Data Storage Technology Center, TDK Co., 462-1 Otai, Saku, Nagano 385-0009, Japan
3Takatsuka laboratory, Minolta Co., 1-2 Sakura-machi, Takatsuka, Osaka 569-8503, Japan
4Corporate Research and Development Laboratory, Pioneer Co., 6-1-1 Fujimi, Tsurugashima, Saitama 350-2288, Japan
5Hosoe Technology Center, Pulstec Industrial Co., 7000-35 Techno-Land, Hosoe-cho, Inasa-gun, Shizuoka 431-1304, Japan
(Received September 21, 2000; accepted for publication November 16, 2000)
We describe surface plasmon enhancement by near-field interaction with Ag-scattering centers. By inserting mark trains between two Ag-scattering centers, the near-field signals were further enhanced in a super-resolution near-field structure. Observing the enhancement in more detail, it was found that surface plasmons are generated along the mark trains and are dispersed in a range of 1 µm along the marks and 40–50 nm normal to the multilayer stack.
KEYWORDS:super-RENS, near-field recording, surface plasmons, phase-change recording, silver oxide
- J. Tominaga, T. Nakano and N. Atoda:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 2078[AIP Scitation].
- H. Fuji, J. Tominaga, L. Men, T. Nakano, H. Katayama and N. Atoda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 980[JSAP].
- J. Tominaga, D. Buechel, T. nakano, H. Fuji, T. Fukaya and N. Atoda:
Proc. SPIE 4081 (2000) 86[AIP Scitation].
- T. Matsumoto, T. Shimano and S. Hosaka: Tech. Dig. of 6th Int. Conf. on Near-Field Optics and Related Techniques, Netherlands, Aug. 27–31 (2000) p. 55.
- V. M. Shalaev: Nonlinear Optics of Random Media, Composites, Clusters, and Thin Films (Springer, Berlin, 1999).
- H. Raether: Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings (Springer, Berlin, 1988).
- T. Velinov, M. G. Somekh and S. Liu:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 75 (1999) 3908[AIP Scitation].