Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. 4145-4148 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (76K)| |Buy This Article|
Boron-Doped Diamond Film Homoepitaxially Grown on High-Quality Chemical-Vapor-Deposited Diamond (100)
Department of Electrical Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
(Received December 21, 2000; accepted for publication February 28, 2001)
In this study, high-quality homoepitaxial diamond (100) without any growth hillocks or abnormal particles has been investigated as a buffer layer for boron-doped diamond overgrowth to improve the electrical properties. For the undoped buffer layer used, very strong band-edge emissions were observed at room temperature (RT) in the cathodoluminescence (CL) spectra. After the overgrowth of B-doped homoepitaxial layer, CL characteristics and electrical properties were compared with cases when diamond buffer layers with inferior quality from the viewpoint of CL spectra were employed. The results showed that employing such a high-quality buffer layer led to an efficient acceptor doping of B atoms of 1.6×1019 cm-3 to the overgrown layer while the RT hole mobility was kept at 910 cm2/Vs, although bound-exciton CL peaks were well resolved only at lower temperatures. The usefulness of the high-quality buffer layer is discussed.
KEYWORDS:CVD, homoepitaxial diamond, B-dope, Hall measurement, cathodoluminescence, edge emission
- T. Ito, M. Nishimura and A. Hatta:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 3739[AIP Scitation].
- A. Badzian and T. Badzian: Diamond Relat. Mater. 2 (1993) 147.
- W. J. P. van Enckevort, G. Janssen, W. Vollenberg and L. J. Giling:
J. Cryst. Growth 148 (1995) 365[CrossRef].
- H. Kanda and T. Ohsawa: Diamond Relat. Mater. 5 (1996) 8.
- C. L. Wang, M. Irie and T. Ito: Diamond Relat. Mater. 9 (2000) 1650.
- C. L. Wang, M. Irie and T. Ito: in Proc. ADC/FCT'99, 1999, p. 435.
- C. L. Wang, M. Irie and T. Ito:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) L212[JSAP].
- A. T. Collins: Diamond Relat. Mater. 1 (1992) 457.
- P. J. Dean, E. C. Lightowlers and D. R. Wight:
Phys. Rev. 140 (1965) A352[APS].
- C. L. Wang, A. Hatta, N. Jiang, J. H. Won, T. Ito, A. Hiraki, Z. S. Jin and G. T. Zou:
Thin Solid Films 308–309 (1997) 279[CrossRef].
- J. E. Field: The Properties of Diamond (Academic, London, 1979).
- A. W. S. Williams, E. C. Lightowlers and A. T. Collins:
J. Phys. C 3 (1970) 1727[IoP STACKS].
- S. Yamanaka, D. Takeuchi, H. Watanabe, H. Okushi and K. Kajimura:
Phys. Status Solidi A 174 (1999) 59[CrossRef].
- B. A. Fox, M. L. Hartsell, D. M. Malta, H. A. Wynands, G. J. Tessmer and D. L. Dreifus: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 416 (1996) 319.