Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. 4938-4942 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (89K)| |Buy This Article|
Light Figures and Group-to-Phase Velocity Ratio in Anisotropic Media
Department of Physics and Electronics, University of Osaka Prefecture, 1-1 Gakuen-cho, Sakai, Osaka 599-8531, Japan
(Received February 19, 2001; accepted for publication June 5, 2001)
It is shown that light figures can be employed for determination of the group-to-phase velocity ratio without measurements of the absolute value of refractive index. It is applicable to uniaxial media and, after generalization, to biaxial media. In some cases the sample thickness is not required. The method was applied to weakly biaxial TlInS2 semiconductor-ferroelectric with well-defined light figure patterns at room temperature. It is shown that the obtained results are consistent with the available data on optical transitions near the band gap of this material. In combination with measurements of interference fringe separation in polarized transmission intensity (PTI) spectra the proposed method is supposed to allow for the determination of the absolute values of refractive indices.
- E. E. Wahlsrom: Optical Crystallography (John Wily & Sons, New York, 1979).
- N. Mamedov, N. A. Dzhavadov and S. T. Kagramanova:
Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Ternary and Multinary Compounds, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) Suppl. 32-3, p. 763[JSAP].
- H. Uchiki, D. Kanasawa, N. Mamedov and S. Iida: J. Lumin. 87–89 (2000) 664.
- M. Born and E. Wolf: Principles of Optics (Pergamon Press, London, 1970).
- N. Mamedov, T. Aoki-Matsumoto, B. Gadjiev, H. Uchiki, N. Yamamoto and S. Iida: Proc. 25th Int. Conf. Semiconductor Physics, Osaka, 2000 (Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2001) p. 123.
- V. Muller and H. Hahn: Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 438 (1978) 258.
- W. Henkel, H. D. Hochheimer, C. Carlone, A. Werner, S. Ves and H. G. von Schnering:
Phys. Rev. B 26 (1982) 3211[APS].
- S. G. Abdullaeva and N. T. Mamedov:
Phys. Status Solidi B 133 (1986) 171[CrossRef].
- S. G. Abdullaeva, N. T. Mamedov and F. A. Mustafaev: Rep. Acad. Sci. Azerb. 45 (1989) 18.