Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. 5740-5742 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (186K)| |Buy This Article|
Preparation of Texture-Controlled Lead Zirconate Titanate Diaphragm-Type Film Actuator Using a Chemical Solution Method
Smart Structure Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST),
Tsukuba Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba 305-8568, Japan
1Technical Development Department, NIDEC COPAL CORPORATION, 37 Suwanai, Tomita, Koriyama 963-8637, Japan
(Received May 30, 2001; accepted for publication June 28, 2001)
A diaphragm-type (100)-dominant-oriented tetragonal phase lead zirconate titanate (PZT) film actuator was fabricated. The ferroelectric properties of the texture-controlled PZT film were comparable to those of bulk PZT ceramics. The displacement property of the PZT film actuator driven at ±20 V exhibited a butterfly-like hysteresis. However, this butterfly shape showed an opposite direction to that of the typical displacement curve of bulk PZT ceramics. This depressed displacement property of the PZT film appears to indicate bend motion in the vertical direction on the film surface since the film is not clamped, and it does not reflect the genuine piezoelectric property. For a unipolar drive, the value of the displacement was about 220 nm at 20 V. The deflection amplitude of the diaphragm actuator showed a peak at 77.5 kHz. Therefore, the diaphragm of the texture-controlled PZT film is considered to be applicable to microactuators.
KEYWORDS:PZT, piezoelectric, thin films, texture control, actuators, micro machining
- H. D. Chen, K. R. Udayakumar, L. E. Cross, J. J. Bernstein and L. C. Niles:
J. Appl. Phys. 77 (1995) 3349[AIP Scitation].
- S. Wakabayashi, M. Sakata, H. Goto, M. Takeuchi and T. Yada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1996) 5012[JSAP].
- I. Kanno, S. Fujii, T. Kamada and R. Takayama:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 70 (1997) 1378[AIP Scitation].
- M. Lebedev, J. Akedo and Y. Akiyama:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 5600[JSAP].
- T. Iijima, T. Abe and N. Sanada: Proc. 9th US-Japan Seminar on Dielectric and Piezoelectric Ceramics (1999) p. 215.
- T. Iijima, N. Sanada, K. Hiyama, H. Tsuboi and M. Okada: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 596 223.
- T. Tsurumi, S. Ozawa, G. Abe, N. Ohashi, S. Wada and M. Yamane:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 5604[JSAP].
- A. L. Kholkin, Ch. Wuetchrich, D. V. Taylor and N. Setter:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 67 (1996) 1935[AIP Scitation].