Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. L334-L336 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (40K)| |Buy This Article|
Stabilization of Ferromagnetic States by Electron Doping in Fe-, Co- or Ni-Doped ZnO
Department of Condensed Matter Physics, The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research (ISIR), Osaka University,
8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047, Japan
(Received January 29, 2001; accepted for publication February 7, 2001)
Detailed guidelines for controlling magnetic states in ZnO-based diluted magnetic semiconductors are given based on ab initio electronic structure calculations within the local spin density approximation using the Korringa-Kohn-Rostoker method. Effects of disorder were taken into account by the coherent potential approximation. It was found that the ferromagnetic state was stabilized by electron doping in the case of Fe-, Co- or Ni-doped ZnO. From the view point of practical applications, it is possible to realize a high-Curie-temperature ferromagnet, because n-type ZnO is easily available.
- T. Yamamoto and H. Katayama-Yoshida:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) L166[JSAP].
- M. Joseph, H. Tabata and T. Kawai:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) L1205[JSAP].
- K. Sato and H. Katayama-Yoshida:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) L555[JSAP].
- H. Tabata, K. Ueda and T. Kawai; T. Wakano, N. Fujimura, A. Ashida and T. Ito: to be published in Physica E.
- G. A. Medvedkin, T. Ishibashi, T. Nishi, K. Hayata, Y. Hasegawa and K. Sato:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) L949[JSAP].
- H. Akinaga, T. Manago and M. Shirai:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) L1118[JSAP].
- H. Akai:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 81 (1998) 3002[APS].
- H. Akai and P. H. Dederichs:
Phys. Rev. B 47 (1993) 8739[APS].
- H. Akai, M. Akai, S. Blügel, B. Drittler, H. Ebert, K. Terakura, R. Zeller and P. H. Dederichs: Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. 101 (1990) 11.
- R. W. G. Wyckoff: Crystal Structures (Wiley, New York, 1986) 2nd. ed., Vol. 1, p. 112.