Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. L383-L385 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (419K)| |Buy This Article|
Propagation Characteristics of Ultrahigh-Δ Optical Waveguide on Silicon-on-Insulator Substrate
Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Yokohama National University,
79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501, Japan
(Received January 22, 2001; accepted for publication February 19, 2001)
A submicron rectangular waveguide with a relative refractive index difference Δ of 45% was fabricated on a silicon-on-insulator substrate, and its propagation characteristics were evaluated using the Fabry-Perot resonance method. The propagation loss was of the order of 10 cm-1, and was dominated by light scattering at rough interfaces. However, a large modal effective index of more than 4.5 and a low bend loss of less than 1 dB at a 0.5-µm-radius bend were also observed. These results suggest the potential of an ultrasmall and high-density lightwave circuit, which accepts the relatively large propagation loss.
KEYWORDS:SOI, optical waveguide, integrated photonics, lightwave circuit
- A. Mekis, J. C. Chen, I. Kurand, S. Fan, P. R. Villeneuve and J. D. Joannopoulos:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 77 (1996) 3787[APS].
- T. Baba, N. Fukaya and J. Yonekura:
Electron. Lett. 35 (1999) 654[AIP Scitation].
- J. Schmidtchen, A. Splett, B. Schuppert and K. Petermann:
Electron. Lett. 27 (1991) 1486[AIP Scitation].
- A. G. Rickman and G. T. Reed: IEE Proc. Optoelectron. 141 (1994) 391.
- J. S. Foresi, P. R. Villeneuve, J. Ferrera, E. R. Thoen, G. Steinmeyer, S. Fan, J. D. Joannopoulos, L. C. Kimerling, H. I. Smith and E. P. Ippen:
Nature 390 (1997) 143[CrossRef].
- K. K. Lee, D. R. Lim, H.-C. Luan, A. Agarwal, J. Foresi and L. C. Kimerling:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 77 (2000) 1617[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Suematsu and K. Furuya: Oyo Butsuri 42 (1973) 938 [in Japanese].
- M. Fujita, A. Sakai and T. Baba: IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quantum Electron. 5 (1999) 673.