Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. 1154-1157 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (106K)| |Buy This Article|
High-Power 660-nm-Band AlGaInP Laser Diodes with a Small Aspect Ratio for Beam Divergence
Microelectronics Research Center, SANYO Electric Co., Ltd., 1-18-13, Hashiridani, Hirakata, Osaka 573-8534, Japan
(Received June 20, 2001; revised manuscript revised August 3, 2001; accepted for publication August 13, 2001)
High-power 660-nm-band AlGaInP laser diodes with a small aspect ratio have been successfully fabricated with a window-mirror structure. The relationship between optical confinement in the perpendicular direction and internal loss was investigated, and a real index-guided structure with an AlInP current blocking layer was applied on the basis of this investigation. A high-power laser diode with a small aspect ratio of 1.65 for beam divergences of 16.5° and 10° in the perpendicular and parallel directions, respectively, has shown a high kink level of 160 mW and a high maximum light output power of 180 mW under pulsed condition. These laser diodes have operated stably for more than 1500 h with a light output power of 90 mW at 60°C under pulsed condition. Stable pulsed operation at 60°C with a high power of 90 mW and small aspect ratio of 1.65 have been simultaneously achieved for the first time.
- A. Shima, H. Tada, K. Ono, M. Fujiwara, T. Utakouji, T. Kimura, M. Takemi and H. Higuchi: IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett. 9 (1997) 413.
- C. Anayama, K. Sugiura, A. Furuya and T. Takahashi:
Electron. Lett. 34 (1998) 1855[AIP Scitation].
- M. Kato, M. Miyashita, A, Shima, K. Ono, T. Yagi and Y. Kokubo: Tech. Dig. 5th Optoelectronics and Communication Conf., Chiba, 2000, p. 534.
- R. Hiroyama, D. Inoue, Y. Nomura, M. Shono and M. Sawada: Tech. Dig. Conf. Laser and Electro-Optics 2001, Baltimore, 2001, p. 83.
- H. Hamada, M. Shono, S. Honda, R. Hiroyama K. Yodoshi and T. Yamaguchi:
IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 27 (1991) 1483[CrossRef].
- H. Hamada, R. Hiroyama, S. Honda, M. Shono, K. Yodoshi and T. Yamaguchi:
IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 29 (1993) 1844[CrossRef].
- R. Hiroyama, Y. Bessho, H. Kase, T. Ikegami, S. Honda, M. Shono, K. Yodoshi and T. Yamaguchi: Conf. Dig. 14th IEEE Semiconductor Laser Conf., Maui, 1994, p. 205.
- S. Honda, T. Miyake, T. Ikegami, K. Yagi, Y. Bessho, R. Hiroyama, M. Shono and M. Sawada:
Electron. Lett. 36 (2000) 1284[AIP Scitation].
- R. Kobayashi, H. Hotta, F. Miyasaka, K. Hara and K. Kobayashi:
Electron. Lett. 32 (1996) 894[AIP Scitation].
- T. Uetani, R. Hiroyama, M. Shono, A. Ibaraki, K. Yodoshi and T. Niina: Tech. Dig. Conf. Laser and Electro-Optics 1996, Los Angeles, 1996, p. 458.