Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. 3600-3603 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (167K)| |Buy This Article|
Power and Interactive Information Transmission to Implanted Medical Device Using Ultrasonic
Faculty of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-Cho, Inage-Ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
1Honda Electronics Co., Ltd, 20 Oyamaduka, Oiwa-Cho, Toyohashi 441-3131, Japan
(Received November 19, 2001; accepted for publication January 16, 2002)
In this paper, we propose the power supply and the bi-directional information transmission system using ultrasonic. Ultrasonic does not interfere with the electronic circuits of implanted devices and is safe for a living body. Previously, we have clarified experimentally that ultrasonic is applicable to power and information transmission. This study deals with improving information transmission speed from the inside to the outside of the body. The new system uses two transmission paths, Path 1 and Path 2. Each path consists of a pair of piezo oscillators. Path 1 transmits a carrier wave and Path 2 echoes back the inside information. As a result, the transmission speed increases to 9.6 Kbps from 600 bps without errors. Additionally, several types of information, such as text, static and motion image files can be transmitted. The proposed system can be applied to various medical applications.
- K. Goto, T. Nakagawa, O. Nakamura and S. Kawata: IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 48 (2001) 830.
- H. Matsuki, M. Shiiki, K. Murakami and T. Yamamoto: IEEE Trans. Magn. 28 (1992) 2406.
- H. Matsuki, K. Nadehara, T. Watanabe, K. Murakami and T. Yamamoto: IEEE Trans. Magn. 25 (1989) 3812.
- K. Takahashi, N. Hoshimiya, H. Matsuki and Y. Handa: Iyoudenshi To Seitaikougaku 37 (1999) 43 [in Japanese].
- D. Tanigawa, K. Shiba, K. Koshiji, K. Tsuchimoto, K. Tsukahara, E. Tatsumi, Y. Taenaka and H. Takano: Jinko Zouki 29 (2000) 315 [in Japanese].
- E. Okamoto, E. Iwazawa, S. Suzuki, S. Fukuoka and Y. Mitamura: J. Artif. Organs 4 (2001) 172.
- H. Kawanabe, T. Katane, H. Saotome, O. Saito and K. Kobayashi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) 3865[JSAP].
- M. Nishimaki: Denki Onkyo Shindo Gaku (Acoustics) (Koronasya, Tokyo, 1960) p. 52 [in Japanese].