Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. 4321-4326 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (190K)| |Buy This Article|
Design and Fabrication of 1D and 2D Micro Scanners Actuated by Double Layered Lead Zirconate Titanate (PZT) Bimorph Beams
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Integrated Solid-state Electro Mechanical Instruments,
1-2 Namiki, Tsukuba 305-8564, Japan
(Received October 23, 2001; revised manuscript revised March 15, 2002; accepted for publication March 27, 2002)
Micro scanners including 1D scanner beams and 2D scanning micromirrors are designed and fabricated. In order to yield large bending force, the sol-gel derived double layered lead zirconate titanate (PZT) structures are developed to be the actuator components. In our developed fabrication process, the use of thermal treatment and the addition of one platinium/titanium film played an important role to yield the well-crystallized perovskite phase and decrease the residual strss of total cantilever structures successfully. In the case of 1D scanner beams with the size of 750×230 µm2, the optical scanning angle was 41.2 deg with respect to actuation with AC 5 V at 2706 Hz. Under the applied bias of 10 V, the bimorph beam bended upward and the deflection angle of 34.3 deg was measured. A 2D scanning micromirror supported by four suspended double layered PZT actuators was designed to rotate around two orthogonal axes by the operation at different resonant frequencies. While resonating with AC 7.5 V at 3750 Hz and 5350 Hz, the maximum scanning area of 24°×26° was obtained.
- M.-H. Kiang, O. Solgaard and R. S. Muller: IEEE J. Microelectromech. Syst. 7 (1998) 27.
- S. Schweizer, S. Calmes, M. Laudon and Ph. Renand: J. Sensors & Actuat. 76 (1999) 470.
- H. Toshiyoshi, D. Miyauchi and H. Fujita: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 5 (1999) 10.
- A. Schroth, C. Lee, S. Matsumoto and R. Maeda: J. Sensors & Actuat. 73 (1999) 144.
- T. Gessner, S. Kurth, C. Kaufmann, J. Markert, A. Ehrlich and W. Dotzel:
Proc. SPIE 4178 (2000) 338[AIP Scitation].
- O. Auciello and R. Ramesh: Proc. MRS Bull. Special issue 1 (1996) 525.
- Y. Yee, J. U. Bu, M. Ha, J. Choi, H. Oh, S. Lee and H. Nam: Proc. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (2001) p. 317.
- Z. Wang, R. Maeda and K. Kikuchi:
Proc. SPIE 3680 (1999) 948[AIP Scitation].
- Z. Wang, K. Kikuchi and R. Maeda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 5413[JSAP].
- G. G. Stoney: Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. A 82 (1909) 172.
- L. Zhang, M. Ichiki and R. Maeda: submitted to Ferroelectrics.
- W. Lang, H. Parlicek, Th. Marx, H. scheithauer and B. Schmidt: J. Sensors & Actuat. 74 (1999) 216.
- G. J. Su, S. Lee and M. C. Wu: IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 11 (1999) 587.
- M.-H. Kiang, O. Solgaard and R. S. Muller: J. Sensors & Actuat. 70 (1998) 195.