Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. 4642-4650 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (309K)| |Buy This Article|
Elemental Analysis of Pd Complexes: Effects of D2 Gas Permeation
Advanced Technology Research Center, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., 1-8-1 Sachiura, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama 236-8515, Japan
(Received July 18, 2001; revised manuscript revised February 1, 2002; accepted for publication April 9, 2002)
Elemental analysis of Pd complexes, which consist of a thin Pd layer, alternating CaO and Pd layers and bulk Pd, is described, after subjecting the Pd complexes to D2 gas permeation. The Pd complex was located in a vacuum chamber and the elemental analysis was performed using an X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) apparatus mounted on the chamber. When Cs was added on the surface of a Pd complex, Pr emerged on the surface while Cs decreased after the Pd complex was subjected to D2 gas permeation at 343 K and 1 atm for about one week. In the case of adding Sr on the surface, Mo emerged on the surface while the added Sr decreased after D2 permeation for about two weeks. All the phenomena were reproduced qualitatively. The isotopic composition of the detected Mo exhibited characteristics indicating an isotopic abundance of Sr rather than the natural abundance of Mo.
KEYWORDS:D2 gas, permeation, Pd, Pd complex, thin film, Cs, Pr, Sr, Mo, isotopic composition, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- F. A. Lewis: The Palladium Hydrogen System (Academic Press, London, 1967).
- J. P. Burger: J. Less-Common Met. 101 (1984) 53.
- T. Mizuno, T. Ohmori and M. Enyo: Electrochemistry 64 (1996) 1160.
- T. Ohmori, T. Mizuno and Y. Nodasaka: Fusion Technol. 33 (1998) 367.
- Y. Iwamura, T. Itoh, N. Gotoh and I. Toyoda: Fusion Technol. 33 (1998) 476.
- G. H. Miley, G. Name, M. J. Williams, J. A. Patterson, J. Nix, D. Cravens and H. Hora: Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Cold Fusion (New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, Tokyo, Japan, 1996) p. 629.
- Y. Iwamura, T. Itoh, N. Gotoh, M. Sakano, I. Toyoda and H. Sakata: Proc 7th Int. Conf. Cold Fusion (ENECO, Salt Lake, U.S.A., 1998) p. 167.
- X. Z. Li, Y. J. Yan, J. Tian, M. Y. Mei, Y. Deng, W. Z. Yu, G. Y. Tang, D. X. Cao and A. De Ninno: Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Cold Fusion (Italian Physical Society, Bologna, Italy, 2000) p. 123.
- Chemical Society of Japan: Kagaku Binran Kisohen Kaitei (Maruzen, Tokyo, 1984) 3rd ed. [in Japanese].
- J. H. Scofield: J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom. 8 (1976) 129.
- M. Cardona and L. Ley: L. Photoemission in Solid I–General Principles (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1978) Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 26.
- R. G. Wilson, F. A. Stevie and C. W. Magee: Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (John Wiley, New York, 1987).
- Y. Iwamura, T. Itoh and M. Sakano: Proc 8th Int. Conf. Cold Fusion (Italian Physical Society, Bologna, Italy, 2000) p. 141.