Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. 7518-7521 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (118K)| |Buy This Article|
Characteristic Properties of Fluorescent Lamps Operated Using Capacitively Coupled Electrodes
Charged Particle Beam and Plasma Laboratory, Department of Electrophysics, Kwangwoon University, 447-1 Wollgye-Dong, Nowon-Gu, Seoul 139-701, Korea 1Department of Molecular Science and Technology, Ajou University, San 5 Wonchon-Dong, Paldal-Gu, Suwon 442-749, Korea
(Received October 31, 2001; accepted for publication August 12, 2002)
Characteristic properties of fluorescent lamps operated by capacitively coupled external electrodes have been investigated. External electrode fluorescent lamps (EEFLs) are typically operated at low currents less than 10 mA and high voltages of about 1.5 kV. Luminance of up to 20,000 cd/m2 with efficiency of above 40 lm/W is achieved in EEFLs driven by square pulses of the driving voltage with frequencies lower than 100 kHz. It is also found that the brightness and efficiency of external electrode fluorescent lamps depend on the electrode length and the ambient temperature.
- D. G. Joh, D. H. Gill, H. S. Kim, Y. G. Kim, J. J. Ko, D. I. Kim, C. W. Lee, Y. H. Seo, E. H. Choi and G. S. Cho: 6th Asian Symp. Information Display & Exhibition Proc., ASID'00, Xi'an, P. R. China, 2000, p. 470.
- T. Shiga, K. Hashimoto, Y. Baba, S. Mikoshiba, S. Takaku and S. Nishiyama: 6th Asian Symp. Information Display & Exhibition Proc., ASID'00, Xi'an, P. R. China, 2000, p. 165.
- F. M. Penning: Electrical Discharges in Gases (Macmillan, New York, 1957) Chap. VIII, p. 41.
- T. S. Cho, J. J. Ko, D. I. Kim, C. W. Lee, G. Cho and E. H. Choi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 4176[JSAP].
- T. Hashimoto and A. Iwata: Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap., SID 99 Dig., May 1999, p. 540.
- K. Sakita, K. Takayama, K. Awamoto and Y. Hashimoto: Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap., SID 00 Digest, May 2000, San Jose, p. 110.