Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. L1383-L1385 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (114K)| |Buy This Article|
Transmittance Enhancement for Randomly Aligned Liquid Crystal Displays with Circular Polarizers
1Faculty of Technology, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Naka-cho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
2Research and Development Laboratory, Stanley Electric Co., Ltd., 1-3-1 Eda-nishi, Aoba-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 225-0014, Japan
(Received September 11, 2002; accepted for publication October 7, 2002)
We have theoretically and experimentally studied a method of improving the light transmittance for randomly aligned (RA) liquid crystal displays (LCDs). By considering a new panel configuration with circular polarizers, we prove theoretically that the transmittance of a uniformly aligned LCD panel depends only on the panel retardation regardless of the azimuthal director orientation. This theoretical result is applied for the improvement of the transmittance of RA-LCDs, and we confirm the significant improvement of the panel transmittance. We finally point out that the vertical alignment display mode is most suitable for our proposed method.
- Y. Toko, T. Sugiyama, K. Katoh, Y. Iimura and S. Kobayashi:
J. Appl. Phys. 74 (1993) 2071[AIP Scitation].
- S. Yamauchi, M. Aizawa, J. F. Clerc, T. Uchida and J. Duchene: Dig. Tech. Papers SID'89 20 (1989) 378.
- T. Hashimoto, T. Sugiyama, K. Katoh, T. Saitoh, H. Suzuki, Y. Iimura and S. Kobayashi: Dig. Tech. Papers SID'95 26 (1995) 877.
- K. Ohmura, S. Kataoka, T. Sasaki and Y. Koike: Dig. Tech. Papers SID'97 28 (1997) 845.
- Y. Iimura: Jisedai Ekisho Disupurei (Liquid Crystal Displays for Next Generation), ed. S. Kobayashi (Kyoritsu Shuppan, Tokyo, 2000) Chap. 3 [in Japanese].
- Y. Iwamoto and Y. Iimura: submitted to Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.