Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. L291-L293 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (132K)| |Buy This Article|
An Easy Method for Fabricating TiO2 Gel Photonic Crystals Using Molds and Highly Concentrated Alkoxide Solutions
Department of Materials Engineering, University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
(Received September 5, 2001; accepted for publication December 29, 2001)
Two types of two-dimensional (2D) photonic crystals (PCs) made of transparent TiO2 xerogels and having triangular arrays of air columns and TiO2 rods with a lattice constant of 15 µm were successfully fabricated from a highly concentrated Ti-alkoxide (Ti(OPri)4) solution (1.6 mol/L) using Si micromolds. The gel PCs had dimensions of 10 µm thickness and of more than 300 µm width and length. The diameters of the air columns and TiO2 rods formed in the PCs were 5 µm and 11 µm, respectively. It was found that the addition of polyethylene glycol is quite effective in producing crack-free gel PCs by this method. This method allows preparation of dense and highly transparent TiO2 gel PCs and also allows the introduction of arbitrary defects at desired positions in PCs. This method can be applied for various kinds of metal alkoxides.
- E. Yablonovitch:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (1987) 2059[APS].
- J. D. Joannopoulos, R. D. Meade and J. N. Winn: Photonic Crystals (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1995).
- H. Kosaka, T. Kawashima, A. Tomita, M. Notomi, T. Tamamura, T. Sato and S. Kawakami:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 74 (1999) 1370[AIP Scitation].
- A. Birner, R. B. Wehrspohn, U. M. Gosele and K. Busch:
Adv. Mater. 13 (2001) 377[CrossRef].
- S. Noda, A. Chutinai and M. Imada:
Nature 407 (2000) 608[CrossRef].
- B. T. Holland, C. F. Blanford and A. Stein: Science 281 (1998) 538[Science].
- M. Campbell, D. N. Sharp, M. T. Harrison, R. G. Denning and A. J. Turberfield:
Nature 404 (2000) 53[CrossRef].
- O. J. A. Schueller, G. M. Whitesides, J. A. Rogers, M. Meier and A. Dodabalapur: Appl. Opt. 38 (1999) 5799.
- S. M. Wolfrum: J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 6 (1987) 706.
- N. Tohge, A. Matsuda, T. Minami, Y. Matsuno, S. Katayama and Y. Ikeda:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 100 (1988) 501[CrossRef].
- H. Simooka and M. Kuwabara:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 78 (1995) 2849[CrossRef].
- H. Simooka, K. Yamada, S. Takahashi and M. Kuwabara: J. Sol–Gel Sci. & Technol. 13 (1998) 873.