Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) pp. L294-L297 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (109K)| |Buy This Article|
Simplified Monte Carlo Dose Calculation for Therapeutic Proton Beams
Institute of Applied Physics, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8573, Japan
1Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8575, Japan
2Proton Medical Research Center, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8575, Japan
(Received September 13, 2001; revised manuscript revised December 26, 2001; accepted for publication December 27, 2001)
A simplified Monte Carlo (SMC) method has been developed for dose calculation of therapeutic proton beams. It uses the depth-dose distribution in water measured by a broad proton beam to calculate the energy loss in a material easily and accurately. It employs the water-equivalent model of inhomogeneous materials. In addition, the multiple scattering effect in the materials is also calculated using the water-equivalent thickness. The accuracy of dose calculations by the SMC method is verified by comparison with dose measurements in a heterogeneous phantom. Results of the measured dose distributions agree well with calculations by the SMC method, though those determined by the dose calculation method based on the pencil beam algorithm show a large discrepancy. Therefore, the dose-calculation method by the SMC method will be useful for application to the treatment planning for proton therapy.
- L. Hong, M. Goiten, M. Bucciolini, R. Comiskey, B. Gottscalk, S. Rosenthal, C. Serago and M. Urie: Phys. Med. Biol. 41 (1996) 1305.
- R. Kohno, Y. Takada, T. Sakae, A. Nohtomi, T. Terunuma and K. Yasuoka:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) 441[JSAP].
- P. L. Petti: Med. Phys. 19 (1992) 137.
- A. K. Carlsson, P. Andreo and A. Brahme: Phys. Med. Biol. 42 (1997) 1033.
- B. Schaffner, E. Pedroni and A. Lomax: Phys. Med. Biol. 44 (1999) 27.
- H. Szymanowski, A. Mazal, C. Nauraye, S. Biensan, R. Ferrand, M. C. Murillo, S. Caneva, G. Gaboriaud and J. C. Rosenwald: Med. Phys. 28 (2001) 975.
- R. Kohno, Y. Takada, T. Sakae, A. Nohtomi, T. Terunuma, K. Matsumoto and H. Matsuda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) 5187[JSAP].
- G. T. Y. Chen, R. P. Singh, J. R. Castro, J. T. Lyman and J. M. Quivey: Int. J. Radiat. Oncology Biol. Phys. 5 (1979) 1809.
- T. Sakae, A. Nohtomi, A. Maruhashi, M. Sato, T. Terunuma, R. Kohno, Y. Akine, Y. Hayakawa and Y. Koike: Med. Phys. 27 (2000) 368.
- T. Sakae, A. Nohtomi, M. Sato, Y. Tsunashima, T. Terunuma, R. Kohno and A. Maruhashi: PTCOG XXXIV (2001).
- N. Matsufuji, H. Tomura, Y. Futami, H. Yamashita, A. Higashi, S. Minohara, M. Endo and T. Kanai: Phys. Med. Biol. 43 (1998) 3261.
- V. L. Highland: Nucl. Instrum. & Methods 129 (1975) 497.
- B. Gottscalk, A. M. Koehler, R. J. Schneider, J. M. Sisterson and M. S. Wagner: Nucl. Instrum. & Methods B 74 (1993) 467.
- D. Kurihara, S. Suwa, A. Tachikawa, Y. Takada and K. Takikawa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 22 (1983) 1599[JSAP].