Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 1150-1153 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (138K)| |Buy This Article|
Effects of Abrasive Morphology and Surfactant Concentration on Polishing Rate of Ceria Slurry
1Nano-SOI Process Laboratory, Hanyang University, 17 Haengdang-Dong, Seoungdong-Gu, Seoul 133-791, Korea
2Department of Ceramic Engineering, Hanyang University, 17 Haengdang-Dong, Seoungdong-Gu, Seoul 133-791, Korea
(Received September 5, 2002; accepted for publication November 25, 2002)
To reveal the mechanism behind the high oxide-to-nitride removal selectivity of ceria slurry in shallow trench isolation (STI) chemical mechanical polishing (CMP), we examined the effects of the abrasive morphology and the concentration of surfactant added to control the selectivity. A slurry with small abrasives showed a more drastic drop in the oxide removal rate as the surfactant concentration increased, compared to a slurry with large abrasives. For the nitride removal rate, however, both slurries showed the same trend. These results can be qualitatively explained from the movement of abrasives though the layer of surfactant adsorbed on the film surface.
- H. Nojo, M. Kodera and R. Nakata: Proc. IEEE IEDM, San Francisco, CA, 1996, p. 349.
- K. Hirai, H. Ohtsuki, T. Ashizawa and Y. Kurata: Hitachi Chemical Tech. Rep. No. 35 (2000) 17.
- A. Philipossian and M. Hanazono: Tribology and Fluid Dynamics Characterization of Cerium Oxide Slurries, www.innovative-planarization.com, 2001.
- Y. Tateyama, T. Hirano, T. Ono, N. Miyashita and T. Yoda: Proc. Int. Symp. Chemical Mecanical Planarization IV, Phoenix, 2000 (Electrochemical Society, Pennington, 2000) p. 297.
- Y. Homma, T. Furusawa, H. Morishima and H. Sato: Solid-State Electron. 41 (1997) 1005.
- V. A. Hackley and J. Texter: Ultrasonic and Dielectric Characterization Techniques for Suspended Particulates, eds. V. A. Hackley and U. Paik, (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, 1998) p. 191.
- S. R. Runnels and L. M. Eyman: J. Electrochem. Soc. 141 (1994) 1698.
- A. Philipossian: presented at CMP Tech. Meet. 2000, San Francisco, CA, 2000.
- C. W. Pearce: VLSI Technology, ed. S. M. Sze (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988) 2nd ed., Chap. 2, p. 57.
- T. Hoshino, Y. Kurata, Y. Terasaki and K. Susa:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 283 (2001) 129[CrossRef].
- M. Itano, T. Kezuka, M. Ishii, T. Unemoto, M. Kubo and T. Ohmi: J. Electrochem. Soc., 142 (1995) 971.