Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 1596-1597 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (310K)| |Buy This Article|
Electrical Characteristics of Ozone-Oxidized HfO2 Gate Dielectrics
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology, #1, Oryong-dong, Puk-gu, Kwangju 500-712, Korea
(Received July 22, 2002; accepted for publication December 5, 2002)
Electrical and reliability characteristics of HfO2 gate dielectrics prepared by low-temperature ozone (O3) oxidation of ultra thin Hf metal were investigated. Compared with control HfO2 annealed in O2 ambient, HfO2 annealed in O3 ambient exhibited excellent characteristics such as lower leakage current density, lower hysteresis, lower frequency dispersion, lower degree of charge trapping (ΔVg), and larger charge to breakdown (Qbd) under electrical stress. The improved electrical and reliability characteristics can be attributed to the lower density of charge trap sites which are related to nonstoichiometry and oxygen vacancy. HfO2 prepared by O3 oxidation is a promising alternative gate dielectric for future metal–oxide–semiconductor (MOS) device applications.
KEYWORDS:MOS, gate dielectric, ozone, HfO2
- Semiconductor Industry Association: The International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor (1999).
- M. Balog, M. Schieber, M. Michman and S. Patai: J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 1203.
- W. Qi, R. Nieh, B. Lee, L. Kang, Y. Jeon and J. C. Lee:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 77 (2000) 3269[AIP Scitation].
- S. Jeon, C. Choi, T. Seong and H. Hwang:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 79 (2001) 245[AIP Scitation].
- S. Jeon, M. Takanori, A. Unno, K. Wasa, Y. Ichikawa and H. Hwang: Vacuum 65 (2002) 19.
- G. D. Wilk, R. M. Wallace and J. M. Anthony:
J. Appl. Phys. 87 (2000) 484[AIP Scitation].
- A. Kazor and I. W. Boyd:
Appl. Surf. Sci. 54 (1992) 460[CrossRef].
- S. Ramanathan, G. D. Wilk, D. A. Muller, C. M. Park and P. C. McIntyre:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 79 (2001) 2621[AIP Scitation].
- S. Ramanathan, C. M. Park and P. C. McIntyre:
J. Appl. Phys. 91 (2002) 4521[AIP Scitation].
- C. S. Jenq, T. R. Ranganath, C. H. Huang, H. S. Jones and T. L. Chang: IEDM Tech. Dig., 1981 p. 388.