Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 1660-1664 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (348K)| |Buy This Article|
Chemical Solution Processing and Properties of (Bi,Nd)4Ti3O12 Ferroelectric Thin Films
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Shonan Institute of Technology, 1-1-25 Tsujido-Nishikaigan, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 251-8511, Japan
1Department of Applied Chemistry, Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
2Center for Integrated Research in Science and Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
(Received September 27, 2002; accepted for publication December 2, 2002)
Low-temperature processing of (Bi,Nd)4Ti3O12 (BNT) thin films was investigated by a chemical solution deposition method, and their ferroelectric properties, crystallinity and microstructure were characterized. BNT thin films were prepared on Pt/TiOx/SiO2/Si substrates by a spin-coating technique using metal-organic precursor solutions. The BNT precursor films crystallized into the Bi4Ti3O12 (BIT) structure above 600°C. The synthesized BNT films exhibited high crystallinity with low (00l) preferred orientation. BNT thin films prepared at 600°C showed a homogeneous and dense microstructure with a grain size of 50–100 nm. They also showed a well-saturated P–E hysteresis curve with a Pr of 7.0 µC/cm2 and Ec of 83 kV/cm. The Nd-substitution for the Bi site in the BIT structure was found to be effective for promoting the (117) preferred orientation and for improving the ferroelectric properties of the resultant films.
- B. H. Park, B. S. Kang, S. D. Bu, T. W. Noh, J. Lee and W. Jo:
Nature 401 (1999) 682[CrossRef].
- E. Tokumitsu, T. Isobe, T. Kijima and H. Ishiwara: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 655 (2001) CC13.9.1.
- D. Wu, A. Li, T. Zhu, Z. Li, Z. Liu and N. Ming: J. Mater. Res. 16 (2001) 1325.
- T. Watanabe, H. Funakubo, M. Mizuhira and M. Osada:
J. Appl. Phys. 90 (2001) 6533[AIP Scitation].
- T. Watanabe, H. Funakubo, M. Osada, Y. Noguchi and M. Miyayama:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 (2002) 1903[AIP Scitation].
- H. Uchida, H. Yoshikawa, I. Okada, H. Matsuda, T. Iijima, T. Watanabe and H. Funakubo: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 688 (2002) CC2.3.1.
- U. Chon, K. B. Kim, H. M. Jang and G. C. Yi:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 79 (2001) 3137[AIP Scitation].
- T. Kojima, T. Sakai, T. Watanabe, H. Funakubo, K. Saito and M. Osada:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 (2002) 2746[AIP Scitation].
- T. Hayashi, D. Togawa, M. Yamada, W. Sakamoto and S. Hirano:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 6814[JSAP].
- H. Funakubo, T. Kojima, T. Watanabe and T. Sakai: Ext. Abstr. 40th Symp. Basic Science of Ceramics, Osaka, 2002, p. 26.