Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 2752-2755 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (225K)| |Buy This Article|
Dynamic Stability of the Fringe-Field Switching Liquid Crystal Cell Depending on Dielectric Anisotropy of a Liquid Crystal
1Research and Development III, Hyundai Display Technology, Ichon-si, Kyungki-do 467-701, Korea
2School of Advanced Materials Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Chonju-si, Chonbuk 561-756, Korea
3Medical Imaging Research Center, Inje University, Kimhae, Kyungnam 621-749, Korea
(Received October 8, 2002; accepted for publication December 27, 2002)
A voltage-dependent transmittance curve of the fringe-field switching (FFS) mode was studied with varying dielectric anisotropy of a liquid crystal (LC). The results show that for the LC with positive dielectric anisotropy the disclination lines existing between domains extend into the active region with increasing voltage over the operating voltage, whereas their width becomes smaller with increasing voltage for the LC with negative dielectric anisotropy. This indicates that the LC with negative dielectric anisotropy shows strong dynamic stability in the FFS mode, which can be a great advantage when fabricating microdisplays.
- M. Oh-e, M. Ohta, S. Aratani and K. Kondo: Proc. 15th Int. Display Research Conf. (Society for Information Display, Hiroshima, Japan, 1995) p. 577.
- K. Kondo, S. Matsuyama, N. Konishi and H. Kawakami: Dig. Tech. Pap. SID, 1998, p. 389.
- S. H. Lee, S. L. Lee and H. Y. Kim: Proc. 18th Int. Display Research Conf. (Society for Information Display, Seoul, Korea, 1998) p. 371.
- S. H. Lee, S. L. Lee and H. Y. Kim:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 2881[AIP Scitation].
- S. H. Hong, I. C. Park, H. Y. Kim and S. H. Lee:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) L527[JSAP].
- S. H. Lee, S. M. Lee, H. Y. Kim, J. M. Kim, S. H. Hong, Y. H. Jeong, C. H. Park, Y. J. Choi, J. Y. Lee, J. W. Koh and H. S. Park: Dig. Tech. Pap. SID, 2001, p. 484.
- J.-D. Noh, H. Y. Kim, J. M. Kim, J. W. Koh, H. S. Park and S. H. Lee: Proc. of The 2nd IDMC (Society for Information Display, Seoul, Korea, 2002) p. 447.
- J.-D. Noh, H. Y. Kim, J. M. Kim, J. W. Koh, J. Y. Lee, H. S. Park and S. H. Lee: Dig. Tech. Pap. SID, 2002, p. 224.