Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 5722-5725 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (182K)| |Buy This Article|
Thin Film Formation by Direct Reverse Roll-Coating on Plastic Web
Research and Development Center, Gunze Limited, 163 Morikawara, Moriyama, Shiga 524-8501, Japan
1Faculty of Engineering, Kanazawa University, 2-40-20 Kodatsuno, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-8667, Japan
(Received October 7, 2002; accepted for publication May 2, 2003)
The formation process of thin films on plastic webs by a Newtonian fluid was examined for the direct reverse roll-coating (D-RRC) system. An applicator roll having concavities arrayed with an interval of 0.2 mm on the surface was used for the coating. The thickness of coated films was determined as a function of speed ratio rs(=vf/vr), where vr is the running speed of the applicator roll and vf is that of the web in the range of 0.02≤rs≤1.8. It was found that the thickness of the coating film was increased markedly with the ratio rs in the range of 0.02≤rs<0.5 and gradually approached a constant value in the range of 0.5<rs. These experimental results fitted well with theoretically calculated results based on the lubrication theory.
- G. L. Booth: Paper Trade J. 6 (1969) 56.
- W. S. Ho and F. A. Holland: Tappi 61 (1978) 53.
- J. Greener and S. Middleman: Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 20 (1981) 63.
- H. Benkreira, M. F. Edwards and W. L. Wilkinson: Chem. Eng. Sci. 36 (1981) 429.
- H. Benkreira, M. F. Edwards and W. L. Wilkinson: Chem. Eng. Sci. 37 (1982) 277.
- Y.-T. Kang and T.-J. Liu: Chem. Eng. Sci. 46 (1991) 2958.
- S.-A. Chen and B. G. Higgins: Chem. Eng. Sci. 43 (1988) 2867.
- D. J. Coyle, C. W. Macosko and L. E. Scriven: AIChE J. 36 (1990) 161.
- P. H. Gaskell, M. D. Savage, J. L. Summers and H. M. Thompson:
J. Fluid Mech. 298 (1995) 113[CrossRef].
- M. S. Carvalho and L. E. Scriven:
J. Fluid. Mech. 339 (1997) 143[CrossRef].
- R. Mizutani, Y. Oono, J. Matsuoka, H. Nasu and K. Kamiya:
J. Mater. Sci. 29 (1994) 5773[CrossRef].
- N. D. S. Mohallem and M. A. Aegerter:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 100 (1988) 526[CrossRef].
- S. Sakka, K. Kamiya and Y. Yoko: Ext. Abstr. (Am. Chem. Soc. Symp. 1988) 360, Chap. 28, p. 345.
- T. Sekino, T. Hasegawa and T. Narumi: Nihon Reoroji Gakkaishi 22 (1994) 68 [in Japanese].