Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 680-681 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (102K)| |Buy This Article|
A Novel Proton Conductor Based on Ternary Polymer Blend
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Kamitomioka 1603-1, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
1Department of Applied Chemistry, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aramaki-Aoba 07, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
(Received July 22, 2002; accepted for publication October 2, 2002)
A novel proton conductor based on a ternary polymer blend has been studied and compared with that based on binary systems. Binary and ternary polymer films were prepared using recast solutions containing poly(acrylic acid), poly(vinyl butyral) and vinylidene-fluoride-based copolymer. The relationship between polymer composition and ac conductivity has been investigated. As a result, it has been proven that the ternary system containing 50 wt% poly(acrylic acid), 20 wt% poly(vinyl butyral) and 30 wt% vinylidene-fluoride-based copolymer exhibits a higher conductivity than Nafion. The ternary polymer film has shown considerable stability under H2O saturated N2 gas at 98°C.
- H. P. Dhar: J. Electroanal. Chem. 357 (1993) 237.
- M. Jacoby: Chem. Eng. News (June, 1999) 14.
- G. Pourcelly and C. Gavach: Proton Conductors, Solids, Membranes, Gels-Materials and Devices, ed. P. Colomban (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992).
- J. J. Sumner, S. E. Creager, J. J. Ma and D. D. DesMareau: J. Electrochem. Soc. 145 (1998) 107.
- T. A. Zawodzinski, T. E. Springer, F. Uribe and S. Gottesfeld: Solid State Ionics 60 (1993) 199.
- Y. Stone, P. Ekdunger and K. Simonsson: J. Electrochem. Soc. 143 (1996) 1254.
- F. Opekar and D. Svozil: J. Electroanal. Chem. 385 (1995) 269.
- M. Cappadonia, U. Linke, K. M. Robinson, J. Schmidberger and U. Stimming: J. Electroanal. Chem. 405 (1996) 227.
- C. Hasiotis, Li. Qingfeng, V. Deimede, J. K. Kallisis, C. G. Kontoyannis and N. J. Bjerrum: J. Electrochem. Soc. 148 (2001) A513.
- X. Glipa, M. E. Haddad, D. J. Jones and J. Rozière: Solid State Ionics 97 (1997) 323.
- J. S. Wainright, J. T. Wang, D. Weng, R. F. Savinell and M. Litt: J. Electrochem. Soc. 142 (1995) L121.
- P. L. Antonucci, A. S. Arico and V. Antonucci: Solid State Ionics 125 (1999) 431.
- S. M. Hail, D. A. Boysen, C. R. I. Chisholm and R. B. Merle:
Nature 410 (2001) 910[CrossRef].
- K. Hinokuma and M. Ata:
Chem. Phys. Lett. 341 (2001) 442[CrossRef].
- R. W. Kopitzke, C. A. Linkous, H. R. Anderson and G. L. Nelson: J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 (2000) 1677.
- L. Hong and N. Chen: J. Polym. Sci. Part B 38 (2000) 1530.
- Z. Ogumi, T. Kuroe and Z. Takahara: J. Electrochem. Soc. 132 (1985) 2601.