Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 898-903 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (249K)| |Buy This Article|
Fabrication of a Hemi-Paraboloidal Solid Immersion Mirror and Designing of an Optical Head with the Mirror
Intelligent Devices Laboratory, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd., 430 Sakai, Nakai-machi, Ashigarakami-gun, Kanagawa 259-0157, Japan
1Materials Fabrication Laboratory, the Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN), 2-1, Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
(Received August 20, 2002; accepted for publication October 22, 2002)
A hemi-paraboloidal solid immersion mirror (HP-SIM) was for the first time fabricated with the electrolytic in-process dressing (ELID) grinding technology. By improving the surface deviation and roughness of the HP-SIM to the order of ±0.3 µm and 4 nm, the spot size (FWHM) of 0.22×0.26 µm was obtained in the blue light concentration with the HP-SIM though fairly large side lobes were observed. A small-sized optical head was also designed with the HP-SIM, a pair of collimating lenses, and laser diode, which height can be reduced to 1 mm. Diffraction limited concentration is expected with the HP-SIM optical head, though the accuracy of less than ±1 µm is required for the alignment of the LD to the collimating lenses for both X and Y directions.
KEYWORDS:solid immersion mirror, hemi-paraboloidal solid immersion mirror, ELID technology, surface characteristics, optical characteristics, spot size, optical head, near-field optical recording
- C. W. Lee, K. H. Cho, C. S. Chung, J. H. Yoo and Y. H. Lee: Tech. Dig. Optical Data Storage (1998) WA4, p. 137.
- K. Kishima, I. Ichimura, K. Saito, K. Yamamoto, Y. Kuroda, A. Iida, S. Masuhara and K. Osato:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 1894[JSAP].
- H. Saga, H. Nemoto, H. Sukeda and M. Takahashi: Tech. Dig. Int. Symp. Optical Memory (1998) Pd-8, p. 188.
- K. Ueyanagi and T. Tomono:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 888[JSAP].
- H. Ohmori: Int. Progr. Precision Eng. IPES 7 (1993) 134.
- K. Goto, H. Maruyama, K. Suzuki and Y. J. Kim: Tech. Dig. Int. Symp. Optical Memory/Optical Data Storage (2002) WC5, p. 293.
- Y. Mitsuhashi, J. Shimada, S. Kogure and Y. Sakai:
Proc. SPIE 490 (1984) 102[AIP Scitation].
- H. Ukita, Y. Sugiyama, H. Nakada and Y. Katagiri: Appl. Opt. 30 (1991) 3770.
- A. Partovi: Tech. Dig. Int. Symp. Optical Memory/Optical Data Storage (1999) ThC1, p. 352.
- M. Takagishi and M. Sahashi: Dig. Int. Disk Forum 2002 (the 10th Anniversary of DISKCON Japan) (2002) p. 273.
- S. Y. Ye, S. Mitsugi, Y. J. Kim and K. Goto:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 1636[JSAP].