Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. L350-L352 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (146K)| |Buy This Article|
Direct Synthesis of fct-FePt Nanoparticles by Chemical Route
Department of Geoscience and Technology, Tohoku University, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
1Department of Electronic Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
(Received February 18, 2003; accepted for publication February 25, 2003)
Direct synthesis of fct-FePt nanoparticles was achieved by reducing platinum and iron acetylacetonates in tetraethylene glycol (TEG) at 300°C. The particle diameter was between 5 and 10 nm. The X-ray diffraction profile of the as-prepared FePt particles exhibited the superlattice reflections (001) and (110), which signified the tetragonality. The Hk of 31 kOe measured at room temperature (RT) from hysteresis loss analysis confirmed the presence of FePt particles with fractionally ordered fct structure which posses substantially high anisotropy. However, the RT coercivity was only 370 Oe due to strong magnetostatic interaction of the particles.
- S. Sun, C. B. Murray, D. Weller, L. Folks and A. Moser: Science 287 (2000) 1989[Science].
- B. Jeyadevan, A. Hobo, K. Urakawa, C. N. Chinnasamy, K. Shinoda and K. Tohji: to be published in J. Appl. Phys. (2003).
- C. N. Chinnasamy, B. Jeyadevan, K. Shinoda and K. Tohji: to be published in J. Appl. Phys. (2003).
- M. Chen and D. E. Nikles:
J. Appl. Phys. 91 (2002) 8477[AIP Scitation].
- D. Weller, A. Moser, L. Folks, M. E. Best, W. Le, M. F. Toney, M. Schwickert, J. U. Thiele and M. F. Doerner: IEEE Trans. Magn. 36 (2000) 10.
- O. Kitakami, Y. Shimada, K. Oikawa, H. Daimon and F. Fukamichi:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 78 (2001) 1104[AIP Scitation].
- S. Kang, J. W. Harrell and D. E. Nikles:
Nano Lett. 2 (2002) 1033[CrossRef].
- A. A. Gribbs and J. F. Banfield: Am. Mine. 82 (1997) 717.
- B. Jeyadevan, O. P. Perez, C. N. Chinnasamy, K. Shinoda, K. Tohji and A. Kasuya: Dig. 26th Annual Conf. Magnetics in Japan 2002, Tokyo, p. 36.
- G. Viau, F. Fievet-Vincent and F. Fievet: J. Mater. Chem. 6 (1996) 1047.
- O. Perales-Perez, B. Jeyadevan, N. Chinnasamy, K. Tohji and A. Kasuya: Proc. Int. Symp. Cluster Assembled Materials, Nagoya, 2001 (IPAP, Tokyo, 2001) IPAP Conf. Ser. Vol. 3, p. 105.
- B. Jeyadevan, O. P. Perez, C. N. Chinnasamy, K. Shinoda and K. Tohji: MMIJ Meet. (2002) 133.
- M. Takahashi, T. Shimatsu, M. Suekane, M. Miyamura, K. Yamaguchi and H. Yamasaki: IEEE Trans. Magn. 28 (1992) 3285.