Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) pp. 2672-2676 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (151K)| |Buy This Article|
In Situ Epitaxial Growth of Lead Zirconate Titanate Films by Bias Sputtering at High RF Power
Department of Metallurgy and Ceramics Science, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
(Received November 11, 2003; revised January 29, 2004; accepted January 30, 2004; published May 11, 2004)
High-quality epitaxial lead zirconate titanate (PZT) films with high growth rate were successfully grown by bias sputtering on (001) MgO single crystal substrates using a composite ceramic target. The composite ceramic target composed of a PbO pellet on the center of Pb1.2(Zr0.4Ti0.6)O3 ceramics was necessary to stably obtain perovskite-phase PZT films under high RF power by sputtering. At high RF power, the application of DC bias voltages to the growing PZT films increased the growth rate and changed the Ti/Zr composition. In particular, the optimum negative bias voltage considerably improved the crystallinity and surface morphology of the films compared with the conventional sputtering process. The optimum negative bias voltage plays a role in suppressing the bombardments of the energetic negative oxygen ions on growing films and also in making low-energy positive ions assist help in crystallization.
- S. Hayashi, K. Iijima and T. Hirao: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 243 (1992) 155.
- S. M. Rossnagel and J. J. Cuomo: AIP Conf. Proc. 165 (1988) 106.
- Y. Shintani, K. Nakanishi, T. Takawaki and O. Tada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 14 (1975) 1875[JSAP].
- K. Tominaga, N. Ueshiba, Y. Shintani and O. Tada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 20 (1981) 519[JSAP].
- H. Nanto, T. Minami, S. Shooji and S. Takata:
J. Appl. Phys. 55 (1984) 1029[AIP Scitation].
- J. B. Webb:
Thin Solid Films 136 (1986) 135[CrossRef].
- S. Ishibashi, Y. Higuchi, Y. Ota and K. Nakamura:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 8 (1990) 1403[AIP Scitation].
- K. Kushida and H. Takeuchi:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 50 (1987) 1800[AIP Scitation].
- K. Torii, T. Kaga, K. Kushida, H. Takeuchi and E. Takeda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) 3562[JSAP].
- K. Ishibashi, K. Hirata and N. Hosokawa:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 10 (1991) 1718[AIP Scitation].
- K. Hirata, N. Hosokawa, T. Hase, T. Sakuma and Y. Miyasaka:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 3021[JSAP].
- T. Hase, T. Sakuma, Y. Miyasaka, K. Hirata and N. Hosokawa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) 4061[JSAP].