Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) pp. 767-770 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (163K)| |Buy This Article|
2 Dimensional Dendrites and 3 Dimensional Growth of Electrodeposited Platinum Nanoparticles
1Department of Chemistry, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
2Department of Biophysics, School of Physics, Nankai University, Tianjin 300073, China
(Received July 28, 2003; accepted October 1, 2003; published February 10, 2004)
Platinum (Pt) nanoparticles are of particular interest as catalysts or electrocatalysts in the electrochemical reduction of oxygen. The morphology of Pt nanoparticles is correlated to their catalytic activity. A mechanism for heteroepitaxial Pt particle dendrite formation (2D growth) and coalescence (3D growth) on highly ordered pyrolytic graphite (HOPG) was observed. The mechanism of 2D dendrite growth, which appeared to be the dominant mechanism at low ionic concentration, was similar to colloidal aggregation, while 3D growth occurred at a high ionic concentration. With increasing number of Pt atoms in a cluster, the simulated interaction energy between the Pt cluster and HOPG substrate decreases. The DLVO theory gives some insight into two different growth mechanisms. The energy barrier between coalescing particles decreases with increasing concentration of electrolytes. Various morphologies of Pt electrodeposition on HOPG were suggested based on the competition between 3D growth and 2D particle growth.
- M. L. Satter and P. N. Ross: Ultramicrosc. 20 (1986) 21.
- T. Frelink, W. Visscher and J. A. R. Van Veen: J. Electroanal. Chem. 382 (1995) 65.
- M. Watanabe, H. Sei and P. Stonehart: J Electrochem. Soc. 261 (1989) 375.
- I. Lee, K.-Y. Chan and D. L. Phillips: Ultramicrosc. 75 (1998) 69.
- I. Lee, K.-Y. Chan and D. L. Phillips: Appl. Surf. Aci. 136 (1998) 321.
- M. Bott, M. Hohage, M. Morgenstern, T. Michely and G. Comsa:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 76 (1996) 1304[APS].
- S. C. Wang and G. Ehrlich:
Surf. Sci. 239 (1990) 301[CrossRef].
- D. L. Kellogg:
Appl. Surf. Sci. 67 (1993) 134[CrossRef].
- C. Maxobrio and P. Blandin:
Phys. Rev. B 47 (1993) 13687[APS].
- A. F. Votor:
Phys. Rev. B 34 (1986) 6819[APS].
- J. C. Hamilton, M. S. Daw and S. M. Foiles:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 74 (1995) 2760[APS].
- E. Bauer and J. H. Van Der Merwe:
Phys Rev. B 33 (1986) 3657[APS].
- W. L. Winterbottom: Acta Metall. 15 (1967) 303.
- W. A. Steele:
Surf. Sci. 36 (1973) 317[CrossRef].
- S. K. Leim and K. Y. Chan:
Surf. Sci. 328 (1995) 119[CrossRef].
- V. Chirita, E. P. Munger, J.-E. Sundgren and J. E. Greene:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 72 (1998) 127[AIP Scitation].