Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) pp. L1097-L1098 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (113K)| |Buy This Article|
Beam Combining for Three High-Power Laser-Diode Stacks with a Stripe Mirror Technique
Central Research Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K. K., 5000 Hirakuchi, Hamakita, Shizuoka 434-8601, Japan
(Received May 21, 2004; accepted July 3, 2004; published July 30, 2004)
We describe a beam-combining technique for three high-power laser-diode stacks to effectively increase the power density. Employing this beam-combining technique using two slit-stripe mirrors, the power density increased to 722 W/cm2 from a raw power density of 291 W/cm2 by combining the beams of three high-power laser-diode stacks. We also achieved a focused power density of 250 kW/cm2 by focusing the combined beam of the three high-power laser-diode stacks with a lens of 40-mm focal length.
- R. Beach, W. J. Benett, B. L. Freitas, D. Mundinger, B. J. Comaskey, R. W. Solarz and M. A. Emanuel:
IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 28 (1992) 966[CrossRef].
- J. A. Skidmore, B. L. Freitas, J. Crawford, J. Satariano, E. Utterback, L. DiMercurio, K. Cutter and S. Sutton:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 77 (2000) 10[AIP Scitation].
- H. Miyajima, H. Kan, T. Kanzaki, S. Furuta, M. Yamanaka, Y. Izawa and S. Nakai: Opt. Lett. 29 (2004) 304.
- F. Bachmann and R. Takahashi: The Review of Laser Eng. 31 (2003) 313.
- X. Gao, H. Suzuki, M. Takasaka, Y. Obayashi and M. Saito: Japan Patent Pending 9-230977 (1997).