Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) pp. L372-L374 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (121K)| |Buy This Article|
Formation of Eu2+ in SiO2-Al2O3 Glass During Thermal Treatment in Sol-Gel Process
Department of Functional Materials Science, Saitama University, 255 Shimo-Ohkubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
(Received December 22, 2003; accepted January 10, 2004; published February 20, 2004)
Although the Eu ion in a glass matrix is most stable in its trivalent form Eu3+, we found that a distinct blue photoluminescence (PL) from Eu2+ in Eu-doped SiO2-Al2O3 glasses was obtained without any deoxidizing treatments after a conventional sol-gel process. The incorporation of Al in a correct proportion to the concentration of Eu is essential for stabilizing Eu2+ during thermal treatment in the process. In order to understand the effect of the thermal treatment, we combined the result of thermal analysis with that of PL as a function of heating temperature. The PL spectral change from the defect-originated emission to the blue emission due to Eu2+ occurred at the temperature between 400°C and 600°C. An exothermic peak was observed at 450°C using our differential scanning calorimeter. We concluded that the reduction of Eu3+ and the stabilization of the resultant Eu2+ in the glass network takes place at the temperature around 450°C.
- G. H. Dieke and H. M. Crosswhite: Appl. Opt. 2 (1963) 675.
- Th. Forster: Ann. Phys. 2 (1948) 55.
- D. L. Dexter:
J. Chem. Phys. 21 (1953) 836[CrossRef].
- M. Inokuchi and F. Hirayama:
J. Chem. Phys. 43 (1965) 1978[AIP Scitation].
- H. Dislich:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 73 (1985) 599[CrossRef].
- S. Sakka: Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 1463.
- K. Tonooka, N. Kamata, K. Yamada, K. Matsumoto and F. Maruyama: J. Lumin. 50 (1991) 139.
- T. Hayakawa, N. Kamata and K. Yamada: J. Lumin. 68 (1996) 179.
- K. Ito, N. Kamata, T. Shimazu, C. Satoh, K. Tonooka and K. Yamada: J. Lumin. 87–89 (2000) 676.
- M. Nogami and Y. Abe:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (1996) 3776[AIP Scitation].
- M. Nogami, T. Yamazaki and Y. Abe: J. Lumin. 78 (1998) 63.
- M. A. Zaitoun, T. Kim and C. T. Lin:
J. Phys. Chem. B 102 (1998) 1122[CrossRef].
- N. Kamata, C. Satoh, K. Tosaka and K. Yamada:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 293–295 (2001) 595
- J. A. Duffy and M. D. Ingram:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 21 (1976) 373[CrossRef].
- A. Biswas, C. S. Friend, G. S. Maciel and P. N. Prasad:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 261 (2000) 9[CrossRef].