Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) pp. L888-L890 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (159K)| |Buy This Article|
Growth of Diamond from Si-Containing Amorphous Carbon Film Using Synchrotron Radiation
Department of Physics, Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu-shi, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
(Received February 3, 2004; revised April 20, 2004; accepted May 10, 2004; published June 18, 2004)
Si-doped amorphous carbon film prepared by the simultaneous vacuum evaporation of carbon and silicon has been irradiated by a synchrotron radiation (SR) beam. The preferential growth of diamond crystals was found by transmission electron microscope observation conducted after SR irradiation. It was also found that the solid-solution phase of carbon and silicon with the diamond structure was produced in the as-deposited film and at the initial stage of the crystallization. The solid-solution crystal remained in the stable phase up to 6 nm in size. The catalytic effect of Si was prominent in the growth of diamond.
- Y. Kimura, T. Kobayashi, K. Hanamoto, M. Sasaki, S. Kimura, T. Nakada, Y. Nakayama and C. Kaito: Nucl. Inst. & Methods in Phys. Res. A 467-8 (2001) 1221.
- C. Kaito , Y. Kimura, K. Hanamoto, M. Sasaki, S. Kimura, T. Nakada, Y. Saito, C. Koike and Y. Nakayama: Nucl. Inst. & Methods in Phys. Res. A 467-8 (2001) 1217.
- K. Hanamoto, A. Hirai, M. Sasaki, Y. Kimura, K. Miyatani, C. Kaito and Y. Nakayama: Nucl. Inst. & Methods in Phys. Res. A 467-8 (2001) 1213.
- Y. Kimura, K. Hanamoto, Y. Nakayama and C. Kaito: Nucl. Inst. & Methods in Phys. Res. B 194(2) (2002) 187.
- C. Kaito and Y. Saito:
J. Cryst. Growth 79 (1986) 403[CrossRef].
- Y. Kimura, C. Kaito, K. Hanamoto, M. Sasaki, S. Kimura, T. Nakada, Y. Saito and Y. Nakayama: Carbon 40 (2002) 1043.
- J. C. Angus and C. C. Hayman: Science 241 (1988) 913
- W. A. Yarbrough and R. Messier: Science 247 (1990) 688[Science].
- C. Kaito, S. Kimura, T. Sakamoto, Y. Yoshimura, R. Kaigawa, T. Sakaguchi, Y. Nakayama and Y. Saito:
J. Cryst. Growth 134 (1993) 157[CrossRef].
- Y. Kimura and C. Kaito:
J. Cryst. Growth 255 (2003) 282[CrossRef].
- H. Namba, M. Obara, D. Kawakami, T. Nishimura, Y. Yan, A. Yaghishita and Y. Kido: J. Synchrotron Rad. 5 (1998) 557.
- S. Tanaka, O. Kido, M. Kurumada, K. Kamitsuji, Y. Kimura, H. Suzuki, Y. Saito and C. Kaito:
Physica E 23 (2004) 108[CrossRef].
- J. Kakinoki, K. Takada, T. Hanawa and T. Ino: Acta Cryst. 13 (1960) 171.