Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. 1095-1100 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (931K)| |Buy This Article|
Simultaneous Measurement of Phase Retardation and Fast-Axis Angle of Phase Retardation Plate
1Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Republic of China
2Institute of Radiological Science, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Republic of China
3Institute of Biophotonics Engineering, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Republic of China
4Graduate Institute of Electro-Optical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Republic of China
5Department of Electrical Engineering, Nan-Kai Collage, Nan-Tou 540, Republic of China
(Received May 22, 2004; accepted October 14, 2004; published February 8, 2005)
A phase retardation plate, such as a quarter-wave plate, is able to control the state of polarization. Thus, a precise simultaneous determination of phase delay between two eigen-polarization states and its fast-axis angle is essential to the performance of the phase retardation plate to control the state of polarization. Consequently, the measurement of the two-dimensional spatiotemporal distribution of phase retardation and the fast-axis angle become crucial when a large-area of phase retardation plate, such as that for a liquid crystal display, is characterized, due to the inhomogeneity of the retardation plate. In order to measure the linear birefringence parameters, phase retardation and fast-axis angle at the same time, a novel polarized optical heterodyne interferometer is developed, with which the parameters of a quarter-wave plate are successfully measured and verified. The features of this device are (1) a common-path configuration, (2) measurement independent of laser intensity, and (3) the capability of simultaneously determining the spatiotemporal distributions of phase retardation and fast-axis angle of a retardation plate.
KEYWORDS:phase retardation, fast-axis angle, optical heterodyne, common-path, interferometer
- T. Asahi and J. Kobayashi: Introduction to Complex Mediums for Optics and Electromagnetics, eds. W. Weiglehofer and A. Lakhtakia (SPIE Press, New York, 2003) Chap. 26, p. 647.
- B. Wang and T. C. Oakberg:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 70 (1999) 3847[AIP Scitation].
- H. K. Teng, C. Chou and T. S. Hsieh: Proc. Optics and Photonics, Taipei, Taiwan, 2002, p. 442.
- Y. Zhu, T. Koyama, T. Takada and Y. Murooka: Appl. Opt. 38 (1999) 2225.
- M. H. Chiu, C. D. Chen and D. C. Su: J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 13 (1996) 1924.
- L. Yao, Z. Zhiyao and W. Renwen: Appl. Opt. 5 (1996) 585.
- Y. Otani, T. Shimada, T. Yoshizawa and N. Umeda:
Opt. Eng. 33 (1994) 1604[AIP Scitation].
- B. E. A. Seleh and M. C. Teich: Fundamental of Photonics (Wiley, New York, 1991) Chap. 18, p. 727.
- B. E. A. Seleh and M. C. Teich: Fundamental of Photonics (Wiley, New York, 1991) Chap. 18, p. 698.
- B. Wang:
Opt. Eng. 41 (2002) 981[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Ohtsuka and K. Oka: Appl. Opt. 33 (1994) 2633.
- K. Oka, J. Ikeda and Y. Ohtsuka: J. Mod. Opt. 40 (1993) 1713.
- C. Chou, Y. C. Huang and M. Chang:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1996) 5526[JSAP].
- C. Chou, W. C. Kuo, H. K. Teng, J. G. Chang and Y. S. Liao: Tech. Dig. Frontiers in Optics, 87th OSA Annu. Meet., Tucson, Arizona, 2003, WEE4.
- C. Chou, C. W. Lyu and L. C. Peng: Appl. Opt. 40 (2001) 95.
- C. Chou, J. C. Shya, Y. C. Huang and C. K. Yuan: Appl. Opt. 37 (1998) 4137.
- R. M. A. Azzam and N. M. Bashara: Ellipsometry and Polarized Light (North-Holland, New York, 1979) 2nd ed., Chap. 2, p. 75.
- Thorlabs Inc., 435 Route 206, Newton, USA: Catalog. Vol. 16 (2004), p. 304.
- K. P. Chan, M. Sato, M. Akiba and N. Tanno: Opt. Rev. 7 (2000) 389.
- E. Beaurepaire, A. C. Boccara, M. Lebec, L. Blanchot and H. Saint-Jalmes: Opt. Lett. 23 (1998) 244.