Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. 291-293 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (115K)| |Buy This Article|
Liquid-Crystal-Based Fourier Optical Spectrum Analyzer without Moving Parts
College of Optics and Photonics/CREOL & FPCE, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 32816, U.S.A.
(Received July 20, 2004; accepted October 4, 2004; published January 11, 2005)
We propose and demonstrate a liquid-crystal (LC)-based Fourier optical spectrum analyzer (FOSA). The FOSA consists of a birefringent filter array with an embedded LC phase modulator. The LC phase modulator is used to control the phase difference between two orthogonally polarized beams to avoid mechanical movement in conventional Fourier transform spectrometers. The detailed operation principle of this FOSA is described. A single-LC-based 6-stage FOSA is experimentally demonstrated, and the results obtained using such a FOSA show good agreement with the results measured using a reference spectrometer.
KEYWORDS:liquid crystal devices, Fourier transform spectrometer, Fourier series, dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM), birefringent filter
- A. Ben-David: Opt. Express 11 (2003) 418.
- S. D. Collins, R. L. Smith, C. Gonzalez, K. P. Stewart, J. G. Hagopian and J. M. Sirota: Opt. Lett. 24 (1999) 844.
- M. Francon and S. Mallick: Polarization Interferometers (Wiley, New York, 1971).
- B. A. Patterson, M. Antoni, J. Courtial, A. J. Duncan, W. Sibbett and M. J. Padgett:
Opt. Commun. 130 (1996) 1[CrossRef].
- G. Boer, T. Scharf and R. Dandliker: Appl. Opt. 41 (2002) 1400.
- D. J. Funk and D. S. Moore: Opt. Lett. 22 (1997) 1799.
- Y. Q. Lu, C. Wong and S. T. Wu:
IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 16 (2004) 861[CrossRef].
- I. C. Khoo and S. T. Wu: Optics and Nonlinear Optics of Liquid Crystals (World Scientific, Singapore, 1993).
- S. T. Wu, U. Efron and L. D. Hess: Appl. Opt. 23 (1984) 3911.
- Y. Q. Lu, F. Du and S. T. Wu: Opt. Express 12 (2004) 1221.