Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. 3529-3533 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (127K)| |Buy This Article|
Three-Dimensional Error Correction Schemes for Holographic Data Storage
Digital Media Lab., Daewoo Electronics Corp., 543, Dangjeong, Kunpo, Kyonggi 435-733, Korea
(Received November 15, 2004; revised February 17, 2005; accepted February 21, 2005; published May 24, 2005)
Three-dimensional (3D) error correction coding (ECC) provides volumetrically coupled ECC blocks, the possible errors of which can be controlled powerfully by correcting errors from three different directions, iteratively. However, increased parities cause a large overhead, which limits the application of strong ECC schemes. In this study, a new efficient 3D ECC scheme and its decoding algorithm for holographic data storage were developed and evaluated. The proposed scheme has 3D ECC capability with a relatively low coding overhead, similarly to that of conventional 2D error correcting schemes, such as RSPC. It gives favorable ECC performance with a high efficiency in a page-based recording and retrieving system, which enables the use of a 3D ECC scheme for various applications.
- J. Heanue, M. Bashaw and L. Hesselink: Science 265 (1994) 749[Science].
- H. Coufal, D. Psaltis and G. Sincerbox: Holographic data storage, ed. W. T. Rhodes (Springer, New York, 2000) p. 283.
- S. Lin and D. Costello: Error Control Coding: Fundamentals and Applications (Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1983).
- M. Blaum, J. Bruck and A. Vardy: IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 44 (1998) 730.
- T. Garrett and P. Mitkas:
Proc. SPIE 3468 (1998) 116[AIP Scitation].
- E. Hwang, K. Kim, J. Kim, J. Park and H. Jung:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 1763[JSAP].
- E. Hwang, J. Roh, J. Kim, J. Cho, J. Park and H. Jung:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) 1010[JSAP].
- J. Roh, K. Kim and E. Hwang: US patent 6346897.
- E. Hwang, P. Yoon, K. Kim, J. Park and J. Lee:
Proc. SPIE 5380 (2004) 304[AIP Scitation].