Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. 5443-5446 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (246K)| |Buy This Article|
Observation of Large-Scale Features on Graphite by Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy
Nanoscience Centre, University of Cambridge, 11. J J Thomson Ave, Cambridge, CB3 0FF, UK
(Received January 24, 2005; accepted March 16, 2005; published July 26, 2005)
Superlattice structures and rippling fringes were imaged on two separate pieces of graphite (HOPG) by scanning tunnelling microscopy (STM). We observed the corrugation conservation phenomenon on one of the superlattice structures where an overlayer does not attenuate the corrugation amplitude of the superlattice. Such a phenomenon may illustrate an implication that nanoscale defects a few layers underneath the surface may propagate through many layers without decay and form the superlattice structure on the topmost surface. Some rippling fringes with periodicities of 20 nm and 30 nm and corrugations of 0.1 nm and 0.15 nm were observed in the superlattice area and in nearby regions. Such fringes are believed to be due to physical buckling of the surface. The stress required to generate such structures is estimated, and a possible cause is discussed. An equation relating the attenuation factor to the number of overlayers is proposed.
KEYWORDS:graphite, scanning tunnelling microscope, superlattice, rippling fringes, attenuation factor, corrugation conservation, Moiré rotation pattern
- C. R. Clemmer and T. P. Beebe Jr.: Science 251 (1991) 640[Science].
- H. Chang and A. J. Bard: Langmuir 7 (1991) 1143.
- Z. Y. Rong and P. Kuiper:
Phys. Rev. B 48 (1993) 17427[APS].
- Z. Y. Rong:
Phys. Rev. B 50 (1994) 1839[APS].
- H. Sun, Q. Shen, J. Jia, Q. Zhang and Q. Xue:
Surf. Sci. 542 (2003) 94[CrossRef].
- M. Kuwabara, D. R. Clarke and D. A. Smith:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 56 (1990) 2396[AIP Scitation].
- P. I. Oden, T. Thundat, L. A. Nagahara, S. M. Lindsay, G. B. Adams and O. F. Stanley:
Surf. Sci. Lett. 254 (1991) L454[CrossRef].
- J. Xhie, K. Sattler, M. Ge and N. Venkateswaran:
Phys. Rev. B 47 (1993) 15835[APS].
- C. Y. Liu, H. Chang and A. J. Bard: Langmuir 7 (1991) 1138.
- K. Kobayashi:
Phys. Rev. B 53 (1996) 11091[APS].
- W. T. Pong and C. Durkan: to be published in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference 7th Annual General Meeting of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Montpellier, France, 2005.
- easyScan system by Nanosurf AG, Switzerland.
- T. M. Bernhardt, B. Kaiser and K. Rademann:
Surf. Sci. 408 (1998) 86[CrossRef].
- W. T. Pong and C. Durkan: to be published in Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.