Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. 561-565 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (284K)| |Buy This Article|
Current-Voltage Characteristics of Pentacene Films: Effect of UV/Ozone Treatment on Au Electrodes
Department of Physical Electronics, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1-S3-33 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
(Received June 25, 2004; accepted October 5, 2004; published January 24, 2005)
In relation to a metal/organic interface, the effect of an ozone treatment on the electrical properties of a metal surface was investigated by surface potential and current-voltage (I-V) measurements. With a UV/ozone treatment on a gold (Au) surface, the surface potential formed across a vacuum-evaporated pentacene film (100 nm thickness) on a Au substrate varied from -200 mV to 350 mV. The variation in the surface potential is possibly a result of a change in the apparent work function of the Au surface. The results obtained by photoemission spectroscopy support the deepening of the Fermi level of the Au surface with the UV/ozone treatment. The I-V characteristics of a [Au (top)/pentacene/Au (bottom)] structure showed that the rectifying property reverses with the UV/ozone treatment of the bottom Au electrode. These results are discussed based on the potential barrier at the Au/pentacene interface due to the space charge.
- For example, recent progress in the research about organic transistors was reviewed by C. D. Dimtrakopoulos and P. R. L. Malenfant: Adv. Matter. 14 (2002) 99.
- Y. Y. Lin, D. J. Gundlach, S. F. Nelson and T. N. Jackson:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 18 (1997) 606[CrossRef].
- T. W. Kelley, D. V. Muyres, P. F. Baude, T. P. Smith and T. D. Jones: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 771 (2003) 169.
- E. Ito and M. Iwamoto:
J. Appl. Phys. 81 (1997) 1790[AIP Scitation].
- T. Manaka, H. Ohta, M. Fukuzawa and M. Iwamoto:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) 6473[JSAP].
- E. Itoh, H. Kokubo, S. Shouriki and M. Iwamoto:
J. Appl. Phys. 83 (1998) 372[AIP Scitation].
- T. Manaka, K. Taguchi, K. Ishikawa and H. Takezoe:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 4910[JSAP].
- Y. Ueda, T. Kuriyama, T. Hari and M. Ashida: J. Electron Microsc. 43 (1994) 99.
- Y. Tokura, T. Koda, Y. Iyechika and H. Kuroda:
Chem. Phys. Lett. 102 (1994) 174[CrossRef].
- C. H. Lee:
Synth. Met. 91 (1997) 125[CrossRef].
- S. Y. Kim, J. L. Lee, K. B. Kim and Y. H. Tak:
J. Appl. Phys. 95 (2004) 2560[AIP Scitation].
- M. Ishii, T. Mori, H. Fujikawa, S. Tokito and Y. Taga: J. Lumin. 87 (2000) 1165.
- D. E. King:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A 13 (1995) 1247[AIP Scitation].