Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. L1080-L1081 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (89K)| |Buy This Article|
Multiwavelength Er-Doped Fiber Ring Laser Incorporating Highly Nonlinear Fiber
1Department of Electronic Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
2CREST, JST (Japan Science and Technology)
(Received May 12, 2005; accepted June 21, 2005; published August 12, 2005)
We demonstrate a multiwavelength Er-doped fiber ring laser using a fiber Fabry–Perot interferometer as the comb filter. By simply incorporating a highly nonlinear fiber (HNLF), multiwavelength lasing over a wavelength range of 40 nm is achieved at room temperature. We found that the self-phase modulation (SPM) and the four-wave mixing (FWM) in the HNLF enables the multiwavelength lasing.
KEYWORDS:fiber laser, highly nonlinear fiber, multiwavelength lasing
- S. Yamashita and K. Hotate:
Electron. Lett. 32 (1996) 1298[AIP Scitation].
- S. Yamashita and T. Baba:
Electron. Lett. 37 (2001) 1015[AIP Scitation].
- R. Hayashi, S. Yamashita and T. Saida:
IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 15 (2003) 1692[CrossRef].
- N. S. Kim, X. Zou and K. Lewis: Proc. Conf. Optical Fiber Communications (OFC2002), Anaheim, 2002, ThGG21.
- M. Onishi, T. Okuno, T. Kashiwada, S. Ishikawa, N. Akasaka and M. Nishimura: Proc. European Conf. Optical Communication (ECOC'97), Edinburgh, 1997, TU2C.