Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. L216-L219 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (154K)| |Buy This Article|
Hillock-Free Homoepitaxial Diamond (100) Films Grown at High Methane Concentrations
Department of Electrical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
(Received November 5, 2004; accepted December 20, 2004; published January 21, 2005)
Improved growth processes for homoepitaxial diamond films with high quality and flat surfaces have been presented. Growth hillocks leading to rough surfaces were almost perfectly suppressed under the new growth processes, where the substrate temperature was set to a particular region. The high quality in electronic states was evidenced by the fact that the homoepitaxial films with thicknesses up to 11 µm gave intense free-exciton recombination emissions in room-temperature cathodoluminescence spectra. It is concluded that lobe-shape marks appearing on the surface after an apparent lateral diamond growth came from defects left on the substrate surface. The origin of the apparent lateral growth observed is discussed in relation to an enhanced speed of the step edge growth at the substrate temperature elevated to ∼1000°C.
- H. Okushi, H. Watanabe, S. Ri, S. Yamanaka and D. Takeuchi: J. Cryst. Growth 237 (2002) 1269.
- S. Koizumi, M. Kamo, Y. Sato, H. Ozaki and T. Inuzuka:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 71 (1997) 1065[AIP Scitation].
- M. N. Gamo, I. Sakaguchi, K. P. Loh, T. Takami, I. Kusunoki and T. Ando: Diamond Relat. Mater. 2-5 (1999) 693.
- T. Teraji, S. Mitani, C. L. Wang and T. Ito:
J. Cryst. Growth 235 (2002) 287[CrossRef].
- J. Isberg, J. Hammersberg, E. Johansson, T. Wikström, D. J. Twitchen, A. J. Whitehead, S. E. Coe and G. A. Scarsbrook: Science 297 (2002) 1670[Science].
- H. Watanabe, D. Takeuchi, S. Yamanaka, H. Okushi and K. Kajimura: Diamond Relat. Mater. 8 (1999) 1272.
- T. Teraji, S. Mitani and T. Ito:
Phys. Status Solidi A 198 (2003) 395[CrossRef].
- T. Teraji and T. Ito:
J. Cryst. Growth 271 (2004) 409[CrossRef].
- T. Teraji, S. Yoshizaki, S. Mitani, T. Watanabe and T. Ito:
J. Appl. Phys. 96 (2004) 7300[AIP Scitation].
- T. Teraji, M. Hamada, H. Wada, M. Yamamoto, K. Arima and T. Ito: to be published in Diamond Relat. Mater.
- T. Teraji, K. Arima, H. Wada and T. Ito:
J. Appl. Phys. 96 (2004) 5906[AIP Scitation].
- S. J. Harris and D. G. Goodwin:
J. Phys. Chem. 97 (1993) 23[CrossRef].
- H. Tamura, H. Zhou, Y. Hirano, S. Takami, M. Kubo, R. V. Belosldov, A. Miyamoto, A. Imamura, M. N. Gamo and T. Ando:
Phys. Rev. B 62 (2000) 16995[APS].
- C. J. Chu, R. H. Hauge, J. L. Margrave and M. P. D'Evelyn:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 61 (1992) 1393[AIP Scitation].