Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. L246-L248 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (139K)| |Buy This Article|
Critical Current Control in YBa2Cu3O7-δ Films Using Artificial Pinning Centers
1Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
2Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry, Yokosuka 240-0196, Japan
3Department of Superconductivity, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
4Department of Energy Engineering and Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
5Department of Electrical and Information Engineering, Yamagata University, Yonezawa 992-8510, Japan
6CREST, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Kawaguchi 332-0012, Japan
(Received October 26, 2004; accepted December 16, 2004; published January 28, 2005)
High-temperature superconductors can carry high non dissipative currents at low temperatures as long as quantized vortices are pinned. However, the currents in a magnetic field at liquid nitrogen temperature (77 K) are not sufficiently high for practical use due to the weak pinning. For the improvement of nondissipative currents in YBa2Cu3O7-δ films, linear defects that extended to the c-axis of the film were introduced using a novel nanostructure technology. We observed a marked enhancement of the nondissipative currents even at 77 K and high fields when the fields were applied close to the c-axis. This is a clear demonstration of enhanced pinning using artificially incorporated pinning centers.
- G. Blatter, M. V. Feigel'man, V. B. Geshkenbein, A. I. Larkin and V. M. Vinokur:
Rev. Mod. Phys. 66 (1994) 1125[APS].
- J. M. Huijbregtse, F. C. Klaassen, A. Szepielow, J. H. Rector, B. Dam, R. Griessen, B. J. Kooi and J. Th. M. de Hosson:
Supercond. Sci. Technol. 15 (2002) 395[IoP STACKS].
- K. Matsumoto, T. Horide, K. Osamura, M. Mukaida, Y. Yoshida, A. Ichinose and S. Horii:
Physica C 412–414 (2004) 1267[CrossRef].
- J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, S. R. Foltyn, Q. X. Jia, H. Wang, A. Serquis, L. Civale, B. Maiorov, M. E. Hawley, M. P. Maley and D. E. Peterson: Nature Mater. 3 (2004) 439.
- T. Haugan, P. N. Barnes, R. Wheeler, F. Meisenkothen and M. Sumption:
Nature 430 (2004) 867[CrossRef].
- L. Civale:
Supercond. Sci. Technol. 10 (1997) A11[IoP STACKS].
- A. Crisan, S. Fujiwara, J. C. Nie, A. Sandaresan and H. Ihara:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 79 (2001) 4547[AIP Scitation].
- J. C. Nie, H. Yamasaki, H. Yamada, Y. Nakagawa, K. Develos-Bagarinao and Y. Mawatari:
Supercond. Sci. Technol. 17 (2004) 845[IoP STACKS].
- B. Dam, J. M. Huijbregtse, R. C. F. Van der Geest, F. C. Klaassen, J. H. Rector, R. Elberse and R. Griessen:
Physica C 341–348 (2000) 2327[CrossRef].
- T. Tachiki and S. Takahashi:
Solid State Commun. 72 (1989) 1083[CrossRef].
- A. Diaz, L. Mechin, P. Berghuis and J. E. Evetts:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 80 (1998) 3855[APS].