Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) pp. L731-L733 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (66K)| |Buy This Article|
Sensitization of Nanocrystalline SnO2 Films with Indoline Dyes
1Innovative Joint Research Center, Shizuoka University, Johoku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
2SPD Laboratory, Johoku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
3Department of Materials Science, Shizuoka University, Johoku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8561, Japan
4Research Institute of Electronics, Shizuoka University, Johoku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 432-8011, Japan
5Institute of Fundamental Studies, Hantana, Kandy, Sri Lanka
(Received February 10, 2005; accepted April 7, 2005; published May 27, 2005)
Using newly synthesized indoline dyes as sensitizers for photoelectrochemical solar cells based on SnO2 nanocrystalline films, an energy conversion efficiency of 2.8% is achieved, compared with 1.2% for ruthenium bipyridyl dye (N-719) under the same experimental conditions. It is suggested that the formation of nonquenching aggregates and the better passivation of surface states on SnO2 by indoline dyes are instrumental factors in giving a higher efficiency for the cell sensitized with this dye.
- A. Hagfeldt and M. Grätzel: Acc. Chem. Res. 33 (2000) 269.
- M. Grätzel:
Nature 414 (2001) 338[CrossRef].
- K. Tennakone, G. R. A. Kumara, I. R. M. Kottegoda and V. P. S. Perera: Chem. Commun. 99 (1999) 15.
- K. Tennakone, J. Bandara, P. K. M. Bandaranayake, G. R. A. Kumara and A. Konno:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) L732[JSAP].
- J. B. Asbury, E. Hao, Y. Wang, H. N. Gosh and T. Lain:
J. Phys. Chem. B 105 (2001) 4545[CrossRef].
- G. R. A. Kumara, K. Tennakone, V. P. S. Perera, A. Konno, S. Kaneko and M. Okuya:
J. Phys. D 34 (2001) 1[IoP STACKS].
- S. Chappel and A. Zaban: Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 71 (2002) 141.
- N. G. Park, M. G. Kang, K. S. Sun, K. M. Kim and S. H. Chang: J. Photochem. Photobiol. A 161 (2004) 105.
- K. Tennakone, P. K. M. Bandaranayake, P. V. V. Jayaweera, A. Konno and G. R. A. Kumara:
Physica E 14 (2002) 190[CrossRef].
- T. Horiuchi, H. Miura and S. Uchida: Chem. Commun. (2003) 3036.
- T. Horiuchi, H. Miura, K. Sumioka and S. Uchida:
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 126 (2004) 12218[CrossRef].