Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) pp. 7771-7772 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (136K)| |Buy This Article|
Submersion Sensor with Side-Polished Fiber and Planar Waveguide in Manhole
918 College of Engineering Building X, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Kyungpook National University, Sankyuk-dong, Buk-gu, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
1LS Cable Ltd., 555 Hogye-dong, Anyang-si, Kyungki-do 431-080, Republic of Korea
(Received May 7, 2006; accepted June 19, 2006; published online October 6, 2006)
Experiments are conducted to investigate whether a side-polished fiber sensor can detect submersion without being affected by water impurities when a manhole is submerged. The side-polished fiber sensor is also examined whether it can detect submersion when the overlay of such sensor is covered with impurities.
KEYWORDS:submersion sensor, manhole, side-polished fiber, field application
- S. Tomita, H. Tachino and N. Kasahara: J. Lightwave Technol. 8 (1990) 1832.
- W. C. Michie, B. Culshaw, I. McKenzie, M. Konstantakis, N. B. Graham, C. Moran, F. Santos, E. Bergqvist and B. Carlstrom: Opt. Lett. 20 (1995) 103.
- K.-R. Sohn, K.-T. Kim and J.-W. Song: Sens. Actuators A 101 (2002) 137.
- W. Johnstone, G. Thursby, D. Moodie, R. Varshney and B. Culshaw:
Electron. Lett. 28 (1992) 1364[AIP Scitation].
- D. G. Moodie and W. Johnstone: Opt. Lett. 18 (1993) 1025.