Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) pp. L602-L604 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (256K)| |Buy This Article|
Limitations in Through-Focus Depth Sectioning in Non-Aberration Corrected High-Angle Annular Dark-Field Imaging
Materials Department, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5050, U.S.A.
(Received March 26, 2006; revised May 7, 2006; accepted May 11, 2006; published online June 9, 2006)
The focus dependence of atom column intensities in high-angle annular dark-field (HAADF) images is investigated as a function of sample thickness for two different materials, InP and SrTiO3. We show that even for very thick samples, the column intensities in both materials are maximized if the probe is focused near the entrance sample surface. Atom column intensities decrease for focus settings away from the optimum focus. The results show that HAADF through-focus series with a non-aberration corrected probe do not allow for atomically resolved depth sectioning in zone-axis crystals.
- J. C. H. Spence: High-Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003) 3rd ed.
- S. Hillyard, R. F. Loane and J. Silcox: Ultramicroscopy 49 (1993) 14.
- C. J. Rossouw, L. J. Allen, S. D. Findlay and M. P. Oxley: Ultramicroscopy 96 (2003) 299.
- L. J. Allen, S. D. Findlay, M. P. Oxley and C. J. Rossouw: Ultramicroscopy 96 (2003) 47.
- T. Plamann and M. J. Hÿtch: Ultramicroscopy 78 (1999) 153.
- P. M. Voyles, D. A. Muller and E. J. Kirkland: Microsc. Microanal. 10 (2004) 291.
- R. F. Loane, P. Xu and J. Silcox: Ultramicroscopy 40 (1992) 121.
- D. O. Klenov and S. Stemmer: to be published in Ultramicroscopy (2006); http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultramic.2006.03.007.
- R. F. Egerton: Electron Energy-Loss Spectroscopy in the Electron Microscope (Plenum Press, New York, 1996) 2nd ed.
- E. J. Kirkland: Advanced Computing in Electron Microscopy (Plenum Press, New York, 1998).
- L. Reimer: Transmission Electron Microscopy (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989) 2nd ed.
- A. C. Diebold, B. Foran, C. Kisielowski, D. A. Muller, S. J. Pennycook, E. Principe and S. Stemmer: Microsc. Microanal. 9 (2003) 493.
- M. M. J. Treacy and J. M. Gibson: J. Microsc. 180 (1995) 2.
- Y. P. Peng, P. D. Nellist and S. J. Pennycook: J. Electron Microsc. 53 (2004) 257.
- A. Y. Borisevich, A. R. Lupini and S. J. Pennycook: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103 (2006) 3044.