Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) pp. L638-L640 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (120K)|
Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells with Conversion Efficiency of 11.1%
Solar Systems Development Center, Sharp Corporation, 282-1 Hajikami, Katsuragi, Nara 639-2198, Japan
(Received June 7, 2006; accepted June 9, 2006; published online June 23, 2006)
Dye-sensitized solar cells (DSCs) using titanium dioxide (TiO2) electrodes with different haze were investigated. It was found that the incident photon to current efficiency (IPCE) of DSCs increases with increase in the haze of the TiO2 electrodes, especially in the near infrared wavelength region. Conversion efficiency of 11.1%, measured by a public test center, was achieved using high haze TiO2 electrodes. This indicates that raising the haze of TiO2 electrodes is an effective technique for improvement of conversion efficiency.
KEYWORDS:dye-sensitized solar cells, haze, internal resistance, TiO2 electrode, IPCE
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel:
Nature 353 (1991) 737[CrossRef].
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, A. Kay, I. Rodicio, R. Humphry-Baker, E. Müller, P. Liska, N. Vlachopoulos and M. Grätzel:
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 115 (1993) 6382[CrossRef].
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, P. Péchy, T. Renouard, S. M. Zakeeruddin, R. Humphry-Baker, P. Comte, P. Liska, L. Cevey, E. Costa, V. Shklover, L. Spiccia, G. B. Deacon, C. A. Bignozzi and M. Grätzel:
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 123 (2001) 1613[CrossRef].
- See for example, S. M. Sze: Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Wiley, New York, 1981) 2nd ed., p. 807.
- L. Han, N. Koide, Y. Chiba and T. Mitate:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 84 (2004) 2433[AIP Scitation].
- L. Han, N. Koide, Y. Chiba, A. Islam, R. Komiya, N. Fuke, A. Fukui and R. Yamanaka:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 86 (2005) 213501[AIP Scitation].
- A. Islam, H. Sugihara, M. Yanagida, K. Hara, G. Fujihashi, Y. Tachibana, R. Katoh, S. Murata and H. Arakawa: New J. Chem. 26 (2002) 966.
- A. Islam, F. A. Chowdhury, Y. Chiba, R. Komiya, N. Fuke, N. Ikeda and L. Han:
Chem. Lett. 34 (2005) 344[CrossRef].
- A. Usami: Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 64 (2000) 73.
- Y. Tachibana, K. Hara, K. Sayama and H. Arakawa: Chem. Mater. 14 (2002) 2527.
- Y. Hishikawa, M. Yanagida and N. Koide: Proc. 31st IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conf., Florida, 2005, p. 67.
- N. Koide and L. Han:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 75 (2004) 2828[AIP Scitation].