Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) pp. L947-L950 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (98K)| |Buy This Article|
Reduction in Power Consumption for Full-Color Active Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Devices
1Advanced Energy Research Center, R&D Headquarter, Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd., 1-18-13 Hashiridani, Hirakata, Osaka 573-8534, Japan
2OLED BU, Display Headquarters, Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd., 180 Ohmori, Anpachi-cho, Gifu 503-0195, Japan
(Received July 6, 2006; revised July 20, 2006; accepted July 21, 2006; published online September 1, 2006)
The active matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) is expected to serve as next generation flat panels display with the outstanding features of wide viewing angle, vivid images, and quick response. For practical use of full-color AMOLEDs in mobile devices, it is essential to reduce the power consumption, which is generally higher than that of liquid crystal displays (LCDs). For this aim, a red, green, blue, and white (RGBW) pixel format combined with an RGB color filter array (RGBW format) with a common white emission layer (EML) has been developed. We find that the RGBW format can successfully reduce the power consumption of a full-color AMOLED by nearly half that of a conventionally filtered RGB pixel format. This improved power consumption is almost equal to the power consumption of a same-sized LCD. The RGBW format is a promising technique for the further reduction of the power consumption of a full-color AMOLED.
- K. Mameno, R. Nishikawa, K. Suzuki, S. Matsumoto, T. Yamaguchi, K. Yoneda, Y. Hamada, H. Kanno, Y. Nishio, H. Matsuoka, Y. Saito, S. Oima, N. Mori, G. Rajeswaran, S. Mizukoshi and T. K. Hatwar: Proc. Int. Display Workshop 2002, 2002, p. 235.
- J. P. Spindler, T. K. Hatwar, M. E. Miller, A. D. Arnold, M. J. Murdoch, P. J. Kane, J. E. Lundwicki and S. A. Van Slyke: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 37 (2006) 36.
- T. Iwakuma, T. Aragane, Y. Hironaka, K. Fukuoka, H. Ikeda, M. Funahashi, C. Hosokawa and T. Kusumoto: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 33 (2002) 598.
- C. Hosokawa, S. Toshio, K. Fukuoka, H. Tokailin, Y. Hironaka, H. Ikeda, M. Funahashi and T. Kusumoto: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 32 (2001) 522.
- L. S. Hung, L. R. Zheng and M. G. Mason:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 78 (2001) 673[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Hamada, H. Kanno, T. Tsujioka, H. Takahashi and T. Usuki:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 75 (1999) 1682[AIP Scitation].
- S. Van Slyke, A. Pignata, D. Freeman, N. Redden, D. Waters, H. Kikuchi, T. Negishi, H. Kanno, Y. Nishio and M. Nakai: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 33 (2002) 886.