Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. 119-121 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (116K)| |Buy This Article|
Proposal of Resonant Tunneling Diode Oscillators with Offset-Fed Slot Antennas in Terahertz and Sub-Terahertz Range
1Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1-S9-3 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
2CREST, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 2-12-1-S9-3 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
(Received August 15, 2006; accepted September 21, 2006; published online January 10, 2007)
We propose resonant tunneling diode (RTD) oscillators with offset-fed slot antennas in the Terahertz and sub-Terahertz range for high-frequency and high-output oscillators at room temperature. The dependence of oscillation frequency and output power on the RTD position along the slot antenna is analyzed by three-dimensional electromagnetic-field simulation. Oscillation frequency and output power markedly increased compared with those of previously reported oscillators without offset-fed slot antennas, owing to the improvement of the impedance matching between the RTD and the antenna. Frequency and output power increase by factors of 1.6–1.7 and 1.5–2.0, respectively. The oscillation frequency of a 100-µm-long slot antenna without offset is approximately 300 GHz, whereas it increases to around 1 THz for an offset of 46.5 µm (93%) from the antenna center.
- R. Köhler, A. Tredicucci, F. Beltram, H. E. Beere, E. H. Linfeld, A. G. Davies, D. A. Ritchie, R. C. Iotti, and F. Rossi:
Nature 417 (2002) 156[CrossRef].
- S. Kumar, B. S. Williams, and Q. Hu:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 88 (2006) 121123[AIP Scitation].
- B. S. Williams, S. Kumar, Q. Hu, and J. L. Reno: Opt. Express 13 (2005) 3331.
- E. R. Brown, J. R. Sönderström, C. D. Parker, L. J. Mahoney, K. M. Molvar, and T. C. McGill:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 58 (1991) 2291[AIP Scitation].
- M. Reddy, S. C. Martin, A. C. Molnar, R. E. Muller, R. P. Smith, P. H. Siegel, M. J. Mondry, M. J. W. Rodwell, H. Kroemer, and S. J. Allen: IEEE Electron Device Lett. 58 (1997) 218.
- N. Orihashi, S. Suzuki, and M. Asada:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 87 (2005) 233501[AIP Scitation].
- N. Orihashi, S. Hattori, S. Suzuki, and M. Asada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) 7809[JSAP].
- W. Hafez, W. Snodgrass, and M. Feng:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 87 (2005) 252109[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Yamashita, A. Endoh, K. Shinohara, K. Hikosaka, T. Matsui, S. Hiyamizu, and T. Mimura:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 23 (2003) 573[CrossRef].
- C. S. Kim and A. Brandli: IRE Trans. Circuit Theory 8 (1961) 416.
- M. Miyachi, N. Orihashi, S. Suzuki, K. Hanashima, and M. Asada: to be presented at Int. Conf. Infrared and Millimeter Wave and Terahertz Electronics, Shanghai, China, Sept. 2006.