Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. 1466-1468 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (250K)| |Buy This Article|
Light-Absorptive Underlayer-Enhanced Superlateral Growth in Excimer Laser Crystallization of Amorphous Silicon Film
Department of Electronic Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, No. 43, Sec. 4, Keelung Rd., Taipei 106, Taiwan
(Received November 15, 2006; accepted December 25, 2006; published online April 5, 2007)
A new method for the excimer laser crystallization of a Si thin film was implemented and realized, in which the proposed sample structure was a Si film/buffer film/light-absorptive (LA) film/glass-stacked structure, with the irradiation of the laser light from underneath a substrate. The absorption coefficient α of the LA film was shown to be essential in this method. The superlateral growth (SLG) grain diameter increased with α and became 10 µm at α=12000 cm-1, which is tenfold larger than these at α=0 cm-1 and in conventional front-side laser irradiation. However, when α was further increased to 18000 cm-1, the Si film could not be completely melt, and laterally directed fine grains were observed with a progress distance of 15 µm, which is likely due to laterally explosive crystallization.
- T. Sameshima, S. Usui, and M. Sekiya:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 7 (1986) 276[CrossRef].
- H. Kuriyama, S. Kiyama, S. Noguchi, T. Kuwahara, S. Ishida, T. Nohda, K. Sano, H. Iwata, H. Kawata, M. Osumi, S. Tsuda, S. Nakano, and Y. Kuwano:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) 3700[JSAP].
- J. S. Im and H. J. Kim:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 64 (1994) 2303[AIP Scitation].
- R. Ishihara, W. Yeh, T. Hattori, and M. Matsumura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) 1759[JSAP].
- E. Fogarassy, S. De Unamuni, B. Prevot, T. Harrer, and S. Maresch:
Thin Solid Films 383 (2001) 48[CrossRef].
- K. Ishikawa, M. Ozawa, C. Oh, and M. Matsumura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) 731[JSAP].
- M. Ozawa, C. Oh, and M. Matsumura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) 5700[JSAP].
- P. Peercy, J. Tsao, S. Stiffler, and M. Tompson:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 52 (1988) 203[AIP Scitation].
- W. Sinke and F. Saris:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 53 (1984) 2121[APS].
- K. Murakami, O. Eryu, K. Takita, and K. Masuda:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 59 (1987) 2203[APS].
- J. Narayan, S. Pennycook, D. Fathy, and O. Holland:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 2 (1984) 1495[AIP Scitation].
- F. Voogt, R. Ishihara, and F. D. Tichelaar:
J. Appl. Phys. 95 (2004) 2873[AIP Scitation].
- G. Olson and J. Roth: Mater. Sci. Rep. 3 (1988) 1.
- A. Polman, P. Stolk, D. Mous, W. Sinke, C. Bulle-Lieuwma, and D. Vandenhoudt:
J. Appl. Phys. 67 (1990) 4024[AIP Scitation].
- W. Yeh, D. Ke, and C. Zhuang: Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 910 (2006) 0910-A14-01.