Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. 1471-1473 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (269K)| |Buy This Article|
Formation of Thin Native Oxide Layer on n-GaN by Electrochemical Process in Mixed Solution with Glycol and Water
Research Center for Integrated Quantum Electronics (RCIQE) and Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
(Received November 7, 2006; accepted January 15, 2007; published online April 5, 2007)
In this paper, we report on the feasibility of oxidizing n-GaN by an electrochemical process in a mixture containing an aqueous solution of tartaric acid and propylene glycol. Photons generated by UV illumination were supplied at the electrolyte–GaN interface during the oxidation process. In the constant-voltage mode, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy analysis revealed that relatively thick Ga oxide layer formed on the n-GaN surface. However, the oxide surface was very rough. In addition, we found metallic Ga components in the oxide layer or at the oxide–GaN interface for longer oxidation times. On the other hand, a thin Ga2O3 layer with a smooth surface was grown by a constant-current process.
- T. Hashizume and R. Nakasaki:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 (2002) 4564[AIP Scitation].
- T. Hashizume and H. Hasegawa:
Appl. Surf. Sci. 234 (2004) 387[CrossRef].
- M. Ohkubo:
J. Cryst. Growth 189–190 (1998) 734[CrossRef].
- T. Rotter, D. Mistele, J. Stemmer, F. Fedler, J. Aderhold, J. Graul, V. Schwagler, C. Kirchner, M. Kamp, and M. Heuken:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 76 (2000) 3923[AIP Scitation].
- D. Mistele, T. Rotter, Z. Bougrioua, K. S. Rover, F. Fedler, H. Klausing, J. Stemmer, O. K. Semchinova, J. Aderhold, and J. Graul:
Phys. Status Solidi A 188 (2001) 255[CrossRef].
- H. Hasegawa and H. L. Hartnagel: J. Electrochem. Soc. 123 (1976) 713.
- H. Lu, Z. Wu, and I. Bhat: J. Electrochem. Soc. 144 (1997) L8.
- D. Zhuang and J. H. Edgar: Mater. Sci. Eng. R 48 (2005) 1.
- W. E. Packard, J. D. Dow, K. Doverspike, R. Kaplan, and R. Nicolaides: J. Mater. Res. 12 (1997) 646.
- W. T. Manske, A. S. Ratkovich, C. J. Lemke, and M. T. McEllistrem:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 21 (2003) 506[AIP Scitation].
- S. D. Wolter, J. M. DeLucca, S. E. Mohney, R. S. Kern, and C. P. Kuo:
Thin Solid Films 371 (2000) 153[CrossRef].
- G. P. Schwartz, G. J. Gualtieri, G. W. Kammlott, and B. Schwartz: J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 1737.