Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. 3239-3243 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (347K)| |Buy This Article|
Observation of Initial Oxidation on Si(110)-16×2 surface by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy
Center for Interdisciplinary Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8578, Japan
1Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Tokai, Ibaraki 319-1195, Japan
(Received November 4, 2006; revised February 8, 2007; accepted February 19, 2007; published online May 17, 2007)
The initial oxidation of a Si(110)-16×2 clean surface, both at room temperature (RT) and elevated temperatures (635, 660 °C), was investigated by scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). The effects of annealing (300 °C, 15 min) on an RT-oxidized surface were also investigated. On the RT-oxidized surface, a BN site, detected as a bright (B) spot in the filled-state image but as a normal (N) 16×2 adatom in the empty-state image, was observed. After annealing, DD, BD, and BB sites were found to exist in addition to the BN site. Here, DD (BD, BB) is a site that appears dark (bright, bright) in its filled-state image and appears dark (dark, bright) in its empty-state image. The relative population is DD>BD≈BN>BB. For oxidation at 635 °C, DD, BD, and BN sites were observed. For oxidation at 660 °C, only the BD site was observed. On the basis of these results, an atomistic process during the initial oxidation of the Si(110)-16×2 surface is discussed.
- T. Sato, Y. Takeishi, H. Hara, and Y. Okamoto:
Phys. Rev. B 4 (1971) 1950[APS].
- R. Izawa, T. Kuse, S. Iijima, and E. Takeda: IEDM Tech. Dig., 1987, p. 38.
- M. Suemitsu, A. Kato, H. Togashi, A. Konno, Y. Yamamoto, Y. Teraoka, A. Yoshigoe, and Y. Narita:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 1888[JSAP].
- M. Suemitsu, A. Kato, H. Togashi, A. Konno, Y. Yamamoto, Y. Teraoka, A. Yoshigoe, Y. Enta, and Y. Narita: ECS Trans. 3 (2006) No. 2, 311.
- Y. Yamamoto:
Surf. Sci. 313 (1994) 155[CrossRef].
- T. An, M. Yoshimura, I. Ono, and K. Ueda:
Phys. Rev. B 61 (2000) 3006[APS].
- H. Togashi, Y. Yamamoto, S. Goto, Y. Takahashi, T. Nakano, A. Kato, S. Hasegawa, A. Konno, M. Suemitsu, H. Asaoka, A. Yoshigoe, and Y. Teraoka: in preparation for publication.
- H. Okuyama, T. Yamada, and T. Aruga:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) 5362[JSAP].
- Ph. Avouris, I.-W. Lyo, and F. Bozso:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 9 (1991) 424[AIP Scitation].
- T. Uchiyama and M. Tsukada:
Phys. Rev. B 53 (1996) 7917[APS].
- R. Martel, Ph. Avouris, and I.-W. Lyo: Science 272 (1996) 385[Science].
- K. Sakamoto, S. T. Jemander, G. V. Hansson, and R. I. G. Uhrberg:
Phys. Rev. B 65 (2002) 155305[APS].
- B. D. Yu, Y. J. Kim, J. Jeon, H. Kim, H. W. Yeom, I. W. Lyo, K. Kong, Y. Miyamoto, O. Sugino, and T. Ohno:
Phys. Rev. B 70 (2004) 033307[APS].
- K. Miki and K. Yamabe: JSAP Thin Film Surf. Phys. Div. News Lett. No. 108, p. 22 (2000) [in Japanese].
- Y. Ono, M. Tabe, and H. Kageshima:
Phys. Rev. B 48 (1993) 14291[APS].
- J. R. Engstrom, D. J. Bonser, M. M. Nelson, and T. Engel:
Surf. Sci. 256 (1991) 317[CrossRef].
- A. Yoshigoe, K. Moritani, and Y. Teraoka: Surf. Sci. 566 (2004) 1124.
- M. Suemitsu, Y. Enta, and Y. Miyamoto:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 82 (1999) 2334[APS].
- H. Togashi, H. Asaoka, T. Yamazaki, and M. Suemitsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) L1377[JSAP].
- Y. Enta, Y. Miyanishi, H. Irimachi, M. Niwano, M. Suemitsu, N. Miyamoto, E. Shigemasa, and H. Kato:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 16 (1998) 1716[AIP Scitation].
- K. Kato and T. Uda:
Phys. Rev. B 62 (2000) 15978[APS].
- S.-H. Lee and M.-H. Kang:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 82 (1999) 968[APS].
- M. Suemitsu, H. Togashi, A. Kato, Y. Takahashi, A. Konno, Y. Yamamoto, Y. Teraoka, A. Yoshigoe, and H. Asaoka: to be presented at Materials Research Society, 2007.