Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. 5178-5180 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (314K)| |Buy This Article|
Formation of Domain-Inverted Grating in MgO:LiNbO3 by Voltage Application with Insulation Layer Cladding
Department of Electrical, Electronic and Information Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
(Received March 28, 2007; accepted April 19, 2007; published online August 6, 2007)
We demonstrate an effective method for formation of domain-inverted gratings in MgO:LiNbO3 for quasi-phase-matched nonlinear-optic devices. It was found that domain-inverted gratings could be obtained by application of voltage pulses with SiO2 insulation layer cladding. An insulation layer on the -Z face reduces the leakage current, and another insulation layer over a periodic electrode on the +Z face reduces excessive expansion of domain-inverted regions. Good-quality domain-inverted gratings with a period of 18 µm were obtained.
- T. Suhara and M. Fujimura: Waveguide Nonlinear-Optic Devices (Springer, Berlin, 2003).
- A. Ashkin, G. D. Boyd, J. M. Dziedzic, R. G. Smith, A. A. Ballman, J. J. Levinstein, and K. Nassau:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 9 (1966) 72[AIP Scitation].
- D. A. Bryan, R. Gerson, and H. E. Tomaschke:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 44 (1984) 847[AIP Scitation].
- A. Harada and Y. Nihei:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (1996) 2629[AIP Scitation].
- M. Fujimura, T. Sohmura, and T. Suhara:
Electron. Lett. 39 (2003) 719[AIP Scitation].
- K. Nakamura, J. Kurz, K. Parameswaran, and M. M. Fejer:
J. Appl. Phys. 91 (2002) 4528[AIP Scitation].
- H. Ishizuki, I. Shoji, and T. Taira:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 82 (2003) 4062[AIP Scitation].
- K. Mizuuchi, A. Morikawa, T. Sugita, and K. Yamamoto:
J. Appl. Phys. 96 (2004) 6585[AIP Scitation].