Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. L1209-L1211 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (181K)| |Buy This Article|
Nanosecond Response Found in Photoexcited Surface Carriers Generated by CoSix Nanoparticles on Si Substrate
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
1Department of Material Science, University of Hyogo, 3-2-1 Kohto, Kamigoori-cho, Ako-gun, Hyogo 678-1297, Japan
(Received September 28, 2007; accepted November 1, 2007; published online December 7, 2007)
We have found photovoltaic carriers generated by CoSix nanoparticles (about 10 nm in radius) fabricated on a Si substrate when the illuminated spot was separated by 1 mm from the anode. The CoSix/Si system provided a sensitivity of 420 mA/W under CW laser excitation at 635 nm with an incident power of 1.8 mW. The carrier's response time of <10 ns was observed under pulsed (picosecond) laser excitation. These high-speed carriers were isolated from the Si substrate, as observed from the ∼15 ns delayed peak. These results suggest that the carriers photoinduced from the CoSix nanoparticles are surface conductive and have high mobility comparable to that of thermal emission electrons.
- E. Roca, K. K. Larsen, S. Kolodinski, and R. P. Mertens:
Proc. SPIE 2552 (1995) 456[AIP Scitation].
- S. Kolodinski, R. A. Donaton, E. Roca, M. Caymax, and K. Maex:
Proc. SPIE 2554 (1995) 175[AIP Scitation].
- J. P. Sullivan, R. T. Tung, D. J. Eaglesham, F. Schrey, and W. R. Graham:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 11 (1993) 1564[AIP Scitation].
- D. H. Auston and M. C. Nuss:
IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 24 (1988) 184[CrossRef].
- T. Yasui and S. Nishimura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) L800[JSAP].
- C. Lavoie, C. Cabral, Jr., J. M. E. Harper, G. Tas, C. J. Morath, R. J. Stoner, and H. J. Maris:
Thin Solid Films 374 (2000) 42[CrossRef].
- S. M. Sze: Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Wiley, New York, 1981) 2nd ed., p. 280.
- I. V. Belousov, A. Gorchinskiy, P. Lytvyn, G. Kuznetsov, G. Popova, T. Veblaya, D. Zherebeskyy, O. Lysko, O. Vysokolyan, and E. Buzaneva: Mater. Sci. Eng. C 23 (2003) 181.
- A. J. M. Kreisler:
Proc. SPIE 666 (1986) 51[AIP Scitation].
- T. Yasui, A. Nishimura, T. Suzuki, K. Nakayama, and S. Okajima:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 77 (2006) 66102[AIP Scitation].