Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. L1225-L1227 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (114K)| |Buy This Article|
Modulation of Young's Modulus of Poly(methyl methacrylate) Nanobeam Due to Electron-Beam Exposure
NTT Basic Research Laboratories, NTT Corporation, 3-1 Morinosato-Wakamiya, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0198, Japan
(Received October 2, 2007; accepted December 3, 2007; published online December 14, 2007)
We fabricated suspended poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) micro/nanobeams using a novel two-step development process. Young's moduli measured for the fabricated beams were found to decrease with additional electron-beam (EB) exposure. This means that we can locally control Young's modulus in PMMA structure using EB exposure and thus effectively design nanoelectromechanical systems using this organic material. The effect was more significant for smaller beams, suggesting that the modulus of the near-surface region is largely affected.
- D. Ruger, R. Budakian, H. J. Mamin, and B. W. Chui:
Nature 430 (2004) 329[CrossRef].
- X. M. H. Huang, C. A. Zorman, M. Mehregany, and M. L. Roukes: Nature 421 (2003) 496.
- H. Yamaguchi, Y. Hirayama, S. Miyashita, and S. Ishihara:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 86 (2005) 052106[AIP Scitation].
- S. Kawata, H. Sun, T. Tanaka, and K. Takeda:
Nature 412 (2001) 697[CrossRef].
- F. Romanato, L. Businaro, L. Vaccari, S. Cabrini, P. Candeloro, M. De Vittorio, A. Passaseo, M. T. Todaro, R. Cingolani, E. Cattaruzza, M. Galli, C. Andreani, and E. Di Fabrizio: Microlectron. Eng. 67–68 (2003) 479.
- H. Sato, T. Kakimura, J. S. Go, and S. Shoji: Proc. 16th Int. Conf. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2003) p. 223.
- K. Yamazaki and H. Namatsu: Microelectron. Eng. 73–74 (2004) 85.
- K. Yamazaki, T. Yamaguchi, and H. Namatsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) L1111[JSAP].
- K. Yamazaki and H. Namatsu: Tech. Dig. 17th Int. Conf. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2004) p. 609.
- V. S. Ivanov: Radiation Chemistry of Polymers (VSP BV, The Netherlands, 1992) p. 176.
- P. A. O'Rourke Muisener, L. Clayton, J. D'Angelo, J. P. Harmon, A. K. Sikder, A. Kumar, A. M. Cassell, and M. Meyyappan: J. Mater. Res. 17 (2002) 2507.
- R. N. Leach, F. Stevens, C. Seiler, S. C. Langford, and J. T. Dickinson: Langmuir 19 (2003) 10225.
- B. J. Briscoe, L. Fiori, and E. Pelillo:
J. Phys. D 31 (1998) 2395[IoP STACKS].
- C. M. Stafford, B. D. Vogt, C. Harrison, D. Julthongpiput, and R. Huang: Macromolecules 39 (2006) 5095.
- K. Kurihara, K. Iwadate, H. Namatsu, M. Nagase, H. Takenaka, and K. Murase:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) 6940[JSAP].