Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. L196-L198 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (137K)| |Buy This Article|
Electric Field Breakdown of Lateral Schottky Diodes of Diamond
Sensor Materials Center, National Institute for Materials Science, 1-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0044, Japan
1Department of Electrical, Electronic and Information Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
(Received January 9, 2007; accepted February 6, 2007; published online February 23, 2007)
Current–voltage characteristics of Al lateral Schottky diodes fabricated on homoepitaxial diamond (100) films were analyzed. The currents in reverse-bias voltages smaller and larger than 3 V were well explained by the image-force lowering mechanism modified by localized-field enhancement and the thermionic-field emission mechanism, respectively. An electric field breakdown was observed when the maximum electric field was in the range 1.08–1.46 MV/cm. The breakdown electric field became large with increasing the Schottky barrier height. These features suggest that the electric field breakdown occurred at the electrode fringe due to the field enhancement.
KEYWORDS:diamond, Schottky, breakdown, field enhancement
- A. T. Collins: in Properties and Growth of Diamond, ed. G. Davies (Inspec, London, 1994).
- H. Umezawa, N. Tokuda, M. Ogura, S.-G. Ri, and S. Shikata: Diamond Relat. Mater. 15 (2006) 1949.
- T. Teraji, K. Arima, H. Wada, and T. Ito:
J. Appl. Phys. 96 (2004) 5906[AIP Scitation].
- T. Teraji, H. Wada, M. Yamamoto, K. Arima, and T. Ito: Diamond Relat. Mater. 15 (2006) 602.
- S. M. Sze: Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Wiley, New York, 1981) 2nd ed., p. 245.
- T. Teraji and S. Hara:
Phys. Rev. B 70 (2004) 035312[APS].
- H. Kiyota, E. Matsushima, K. Sato, H. Okushi, T. Ando, M. Kamo, Y. Sato, and M. Iida:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 67 (1995) 3596[AIP Scitation].
- D. Takeuchi, S. Yamanaka, H. Watanabe, and H. Okushi:
Phys. Status Solidi A 186 (2001) 269[CrossRef].
- E. H. Rhoderick and R. H. Williams: Metal–Semiconductor Contacts (Clarendon, Oxford, 1988) 2nd ed., p. 124.