Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) pp. L503-L505 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (126K)|
A Vertical Insulated Gate AlGaN/GaN Heterojunction Field-Effect Transistor
Toyota Central R&D Laboratories, Inc., Nagakute-cho, Aichi 480-1192, Japan
1Toyota Motor Corp., 543 Kirigahora, Nishihirose-cho, Toyota, Aichi 470-0309, Japan
(Received April 17, 2007; accepted May 10, 2007; published online May 25, 2007)
We fabricated a vertical insulated gate AlGaN/GaN heterojunction field-effect transistor (HFET), using a free-standing GaN substrate. This HFET has apertures through which the electron current vertically flows. These apertures were formed by dry etching the p-GaN layer below the gate electrodes and regrowing n--GaN layer without mask. The HFET exhibited a specific on-resistance of as low as 2.6 mΩ·cm2 with a threshold voltage of -16 V. This HFET would be a prototype of a GaN-based high-power switching device.
- I. Ben-Yaacov, Y.-K. Seck, U. K. Mishra, and S. P. DenBaars:
J. Appl. Phys. 95 (2004) 2073[AIP Scitation].
- T. Kachi, N. Soejima, T. Uesugi, H. Ueda, M. Kodama, M. Kanechika, and M. Sugimoto: 6th Int. Conf. Nitride Semiconductors 2005, Bremen, Germany, Th-P-139 late news.
- M. Kanechika, M. Sugimoto, N. Soejima, H. Ueda, O. Ishiguro, M. Kodama, E. Hayashi, T. Uesugi, and T. Kachi: Tech. Dig. Int. Workshop Nitride Semiconductors 2006, Kyoto, Japan, p. 76.
- S. Nitta, Y. Yukawa, Y. Watanabe, M. Kosaki, M. Iwaya, S. Yamaguchi, H. Amano, and I. Akasaki: Mater. Sci. Eng. B 93 (2002) 139.
- M. Sugimoto, M. Kodama, N. Soejima, E. Hayashi, T. Uesugi, and T. Kachi: Proc. 17th Int. Symp. Power Semiconductor Devices & IC's, 2005, Santa Barbara, CA, p. 307.