Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 150-153 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (121K)| |Buy This Article|
Pinning Effect Induced by Underlayer in TbFeCo Magnetic Recording Media
1Advanced Technology Research Laboratories, Sharp Corporation, Tenri, Nara 632-8567, Japan
2Division of Materials and Manufacturing Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
3Center for Atomic and Molecular Technologies, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
(Received February 19, 2007; revised September 5, 2007; accepted September 27, 2007; published online January 18, 2008)
Pinning effect induced by a grainlike structure on top of a TbFeCo recording layer with an Al or Ag underlayer is investigated. We confirm that the pinning effect depends on the surface structure of the recording layer as well as the underlayer. The Al-underlayered TbFeCo medium shows higher recording density during thermally assisted magnetic recording and higher coercivity than those of the Ag-underlayered one. We can observe that only the Al-underlayered TbFeCo medium has the grainlike structure on top of the TbFeCo recording layer, which reflects well a grainlike structure on the Al underlayer's surface. It indicates that the surface profile of not only the underlayer but also the TbFeCo recording layer laminated onto the underlayer is necessary for inducing the strong pinning effect in the TbFeCo magnetic recording media.
- H. Katayama, S. Sawamura, Y. Ogimoto, J. Nakajima, K. Kojima, and K. Ohta: J. Magn. Soc. Jpn. 23 (1999) 233.
- H. Saga, H. Nemoto, H. Sukeda, and M. Takahashi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) 1839[JSAP].
- J. J. M. Ruigrok, R. Coehoorn, S. R. Cumpson, and H. W. van Kesteren:
J. Appl. Phys. 87 (2000) 5398[AIP Scitation].
- K. Matsumoto, K. Ozaki, A. Chekanov, I. Tagawa, and K. Shono:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) L1161[JSAP].
- H. Katayama, K. Watanabe, K. Takayama, J. Sato, S. Miyanishi, K. Kojima, and K. Ohta:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 81 (2002) 4994[AIP Scitation].
- J. Sato, K. Takayama, S. Miyanishi, H. Fuji, Y. Murakami, K. Kojima, and A. Takahashi: Trans. Magn. Soc. Jpn. 4 (2004) 178.
- A. Bondy and V. Levy: C. R. Acad. Sci., Ser. C 272 (1971) 19 [in French].